Refilling pool tomorrow and need some advice re: chemicals/additives

Apr 27, 2016
Phoenix
Our pool became more swamp and less pool this fall, so I went ahead and drained it today. Tomorrow first thing I'll start to refill it.

I've seen half a dozen recommendations on what chemicals to add and when to add them when refilling the pool. It's overwhelming. Am I SLAMing the thing? Just bleach and CYA until I get the water tested and add from there? Have the water tested before I begin to fill?

I honestly don't know where to start.

And I know I should get the TF-100, but I just don't have a bunch of money to throw at this right now. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I honestly don't know where to start. And I know I should get the TF-100, but I just don't have a bunch of money to throw at this right now.
Totally understand, but you won't be able to SLAM or do anything else properly without the right testing materials. At the very least, you need the FAS-DPD test portion so you can test FC at/over 12 during the SLAM. For everything else, you can get by with one of the HTH 6-way drop test kits for a short time, but TF-100 is where you want to be when spring hits.

Since this is new water, use the Poolmath calculator to factor-in how much granular stabilizer you need for a CYA target of "30", then consider that done. Next, you can adjust pH to about 7.2. Finally, with that FAS-DPD testing portion linked above, you can properly maintain the FC at "12" and SLAM. That should get you by for a few weeks. But definitely get at least the FAS-DPD for FC testing, and never rely on the pool store tests. They are incorrect more often than not. Good luck!

I wanted to point out the fact the FAS-DPD in Pat's post above is a link to that test. That will help you keep your pool clear.

Consider the test kit as an investment. It costs some upfront BUT will save you so much money and aggravation in the end.

:hug: let us know how things are going.

Kim:kim:

Thanks for the replies everyone! Still confused, but at least I feel like I've got the resources (and people) I need to do this the right way.

Ok, I bit the bullet and bought the TF-100 from Pool Supply World. Should be here by the 7th.

And before I start filling, I've got some stains on my pool walls (PebbleTec). As I was draining the sludge yesterday, there were a couple periods when I was distracted (doing this and taking care of a 4 and 5 year old was not easy!) and wasn't able to rinse the walls as the water went down. This left some rings around the pool. I tried scrubbing them with just a brush and some water but they're really stubborn. Any advice on what to use to get these things off?

Thanks so much! It'd be easy for you to just reply with an eyeroll emoji and link me to pool school or whatever, but you've been very helpful, and I really do appreciate it.

Big pool care AND watching a couple of littles?? :hug: you poor thing LOL

Good job on the test kit. That will make your pool care SO much easier with the added bonus you will KNOW your pool is balanced and safe for the littles!

Danny has you covered with the lines. We will work on them once you have water in the pool.

You have a shopping trip ahead of you so get a piece of paper and pen to take notes:

-CYA-aka balancer. Can be bought at Walmart or Lowes..

-look around your area for your best price and is easy to get to bleach or chlorine. They are the same thing but different %. Plain store brand bleach is fine like Walmart's Great Value bleach at 8%. IF you have a pool store that sells liquid chlorine it should be 11%.

-plastic measuring cupx2- one of chlorine and one for muratic acid (may need it later)

-white plastic plate-this will help you do the color match tests

Okay so here is some homework:

-Pool Math-the link is up at the top in a blue oval-there is a learning curve so take it slow and play with it. Do NOT put the , in the pool size. For some reason Pool Math does not like it. This will tell you how much CYA you need to buy.

-This linik: Pool School - Recommended Levels I have this one printed out. It tells you the range we like for each part of the water.

-This link is the corner stone of TFP: Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry It is a LOT of info so take it slow. It will start to make sense when you start using it.

Let me know if I missed anything or you are not sure on something. It will get easier but right now.........it is a lot.

We were quite the attraction yesterday. At one point, we had 11 of the neighborhood kids in our tiny backyard while I was (literally) in the deep end scrubbing the walls. Being the fun neighbor that I am, I put them to work immediately. :)

My major stressor this morning was the lines on the walls, so hearing that I can address them after we get this sucker refilled is such a relief. I returned the pump this morning to Home Depot and picked up some supplies while I was there -- 4 gal liquid chlorine; Ph Up; Ph Down; Stabalizer (same as CYA/balancer?); and some chlorine tabs for the float. Does all that sound about right to get me started? I put my numbers into the calculator prior to shopping so I think I should have the right amount.

The pool is filling now, and with my one hose and remarkably low flow, it should be done sometime tomorrow.

• Love
Reactions: splashpad
Here is a link for you. I hope you kept your receipt as you can return the PH up and down. Most of the stuff we use can be bought at your grocery store!

I want you to do something for me. Go out and look at your chlorine. See if there is a date code on it. If you do not know how to read them share them here and we can tell you when the bleach was "born". You don't want it older than 3 months.

We had one person buy several jugs of chlorine but she could not get her FC to test out. We kept digging and thinking when someone asked her the date they were "born". It turned out ALL of them were about 1 y 6 m old! It had turn back to water! She got her money back and went to Walmart for some fresh stuff! Once she got that her pool started clearing right up!

LOL on being the fun guy you are and LETTING the kids help! LOVE IT!

Right, so I don't know what the date code should look like but there were two numbers on one of the boxes (I have two boxes with two gallons in each one) that weren't SKUs. They are: 20128HDX (Printed on the bottom of the box), and 16333 13:40 (printed on the side).

And it looks like you intended on including a link in your previous post, kim, but I don't see anything. Was it this? Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
MM, if that one jug had 16333, then that's something like the end of last November. Definitely a bit old and may have lost some strength. Check your local grocery stores. You want a Julian date closer to today which is 17029. :) I just bought a few jugs and they were dated 17005 (Jan 5th). Usually I don't get them even that old, but stock isn't moving as fast in the winter. Plus, my pool doesn't eat FC as much in the colder water. :)

My TF-100 doesn't get here until late this week or early next, so I won't be able to begin SLAM until then, correct?

Assuming the only testing material I have is the cheap drop kit from the pool store, what is the minimum I could/should do to the pool once it's filled to hold me over until I can SLAM, which may not be for another week?

For now, simply add about 1/2 gallon of regular bleach to the water each day. At least that way, you're not wasting too much bleach, but hopefully keeping any algae in the system contained to a degree from getting worse. Once you receive your kit, you'll run a CYA first, FC, and pH to start the SLAM accurately. Hope that helps. Have a good day.

Ok, here we go:

FC: 1
CC: 0
CYA: less than 20 (could still see the black dot until the tube was overflowing)
TA: 140
CH: 450ppm
Ph: 7.8

Next steps (?):
Get CYA above 30.
Lower Ph to 7.2.
Get FC to 12.

Question about my CH level. Is that high? What is my "Goal" level for the Pool Math calc?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.