chrisg7

Aug 28, 2023
Dallas TX
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
This community has been so helpful in my pool journey so far. I’ve been managing my pool for about a month now and what I’ve learned here has been so valuable.

My fiberglass pool was drained last week by a pool company and a new gel coat was applied to the fiberglass.

It took about 1.5 days to refill the pool and now I’m trying to get all the chemicals situated.

CYA
————
First thing I did was put 2lb of stabilizer/CYA in the skimmer basket. I poured the granules straight in and they dissolved fairly quickly. I tested the CYA level 2 days later and still don’t have any CYA detectable on my test kit at 30ppm (as low as it goes).

1. Is this because I need to wait a week to get an accurate reading? I added an extra 1lb today because the PoolMath app said I needed 3lbs total for my 12,000 gallon pool.

2. Next time I’ll use the sock method. I got intimidated when I took an old sock out there and tried to aim the bag of stabilizer into the sock. Then I realized this site may be talking about a special kind of sock you buy at a pool store. What kind of sock can I use next time that would be wide enough to easily pour the stabilizer into?

FC
————
I’ve been adding liquid chlorine each day to maintain the level recommended in the PoolMath app but it’s getting soaked up by the sun so I’m hoping the CYA kicks in soon.

pH
——
This one tested at 7.6 which I’m pleased with.
1. Nothing to do here, right? I have Muriatic acid ready to go whenever I need it.

TA
——
This one tested at 100, a bit over the recommendation.

1. Since 90 is the high end target, should I just leave it at 100 and let it drop when I put Muriatic acid in next or go ahead and try to drop it now?

CH
——-
This is the one that has me confused. The water is brand new and my CH on 2 different tests is 100-120.

1. Is it ok to have low CH since the water is new or do I need to immediately increase it?
2. When I look in the PoolMath app, it tells me I need 26lbs of Calcium Chloride to increase it to 350ppm. That sounded like a lot and made me think I was doing something wrong. Do I need to go buy this much calcium chloride and put it in the pool?

—-
Thank you so much for any help you can give!

Blessings!

First thing I did was put 2lb of stabilizer/CYA in the skimmer basket. I poured the granules straight in and they dissolved fairly quickly. I tested the CYA level 2 days later and still don’t have any CYA detectable on my test kit at 30ppm (as low as it goes).

1. Is this because I need to wait a week to get an accurate reading? I added an extra 1lb today because the PoolMath app said I needed 3lbs total for my 12,000 gallon pool.

2lbs of dry stabilizer will raise your FC by 20.

3lbs may get you to around 30.

2. Next time I’ll use the sock method. I got intimidated when I took an old sock out there and tried to aim the bag of stabilizer into the sock. Then I realized this site may be talking about a special kind of sock you buy at a pool store. What kind of sock can I use next time that would be wide enough to easily pour the stabilizer into?

I use a funnel to pour the stabilizer into a sock.

The funnel came with my Meile dishwasher to add salt to it. Look around your house for something that works.

TA
——
This one tested at 100, a bit over the recommendation.

1. Since 90 is the high end target, should I just leave it at 100 and let it drop when I put Muriatic acid in next or go ahead and try to drop it now?

TA of 100 is fine. Just maintain your pH in the 7's and your TA will adjust over time.
CH
——-
This is the one that has me confused. The water is brand new and my CH on 2 different tests is 100-120.

1. Is it ok to have low CH since the water is new or do I need to immediately increase it?

CH of 100-120 is fine in our book.

What CH level does your fiberglass pool manufacturer recommend.

2. When I look in the PoolMath app, it tells me I need 26lbs of Calcium Chloride to increase it to 350ppm. That sounded like a lot and made me think I was doing something wrong. Do I need to go buy this much calcium chloride and put it in the pool?

Fiberglass pools do not need more then 100ppm of CH although some manufacturers recommend more.

Reactions: chrisg7
2. Next time I’ll use the sock method. I got intimidated when I took an old sock out there and tried to aim the bag of stabilizer into the sock.
I use skimmer socks, a red solo cup and a paper plate. The paper plate can easily be rolled into a funnel shape. I scoop the stabilizer with the solo cup and then pour from that into the paper plate funnel.

Reactions: chrisg7
The cya you added is likely trapped in the filter media.
Don’t backwash or clean your filter until your test registers the addition or you will wash away the cya. This can take up to a week.
The sock can be a regular crew/tube sock 🧦 or a skimmer sock or a knee high or whatever. Using the sock method & hanging infront of a return as recommended puts the cya into to body of the pool water immediately instead of it getting trapped in your filter.
I use a measuring cup that is already dedicated to pool stuff to pour it into the sock. If its in a resealable bag i just put the sock around the bag & slowly dump it in the sock.

I’ve used athletic socks, skimmer socks, and a sock with bears on it because the other one was lost.

I pour the dry CYA into a measuring cup (dedicated to CYA), wrap the opening of the sock around the rim, hold in place, and flip it. Then I tie off tightly with a zip tie, and use another zip tie or two to dangle sock from a plant hook, in front of return.

Thank you so much!

The fiberglass pool company who gel coated my pool recommended CH of 300-350ppm. Thoughts on this?
Follow the manufacturers recommendation if they warranties their work.

Never hurts to add it in batches and testing in between in case your calculations are off.

Watch your FC levels after adding calcium chloride. We have reports of FC going to 0 after adding calcium.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.