Refilled after 1 year where to start

May 17, 2014
Hesperia, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I just refilled my pool after it sat empty for over a year. did some repair to decritive rocks, changed the main drain covers, replaced the return jets, replaced the lights with LED lights, new filter cartrages and skimmer basket. Started the pump and primed everything found a leek in the jandy valve. Have not tested the water yet but what should I start with as far as getting it upto speed? According to the pool math app I need 23 bags of salt so I will be adding that little at a time. Is there any chemicals I should start with?

Post a full set of pool water test results. What test kit do you use?
With a new fill all the tests are important but you would want to increase the CYA and then add liquid chlorine to quickly increase the FC. Be sure to test for salt before you add any just so you do not over add. Same with CH.

Test kit is Complete (FAS-DPD) Chlorine, with a Taylor SpeedStir, and SALT-3050 Salt Meter

FC=0
CC=0
pH=8.0
TA=80
CH=70
CYA=+30
Salt=123
Calculated CSI= -0.110

Attachments

• First test.jpg
    First test.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 3
Thanks for the test data.
Add Chlorine - use liquid chlorine now to target range of 6-8ppm FC for 50ppm CYA See the
FC/CYA Levels
If this is a new fill I did not expect to see any CYA. Add stabilizer but do it in small batches so you do not overshoot. Target 50ppm CYA
When you are ready to add salt then increase CYA to 60-70.

Your TA is good so just use MA to lower pH into mid-7's.
Your CH is low, so need to increase that to 250 minimum.

Once you add chemicals, continue to circulate. Wait 30 minutes between adding chlorine and MA.
Use the sock method to add stabilizer

Thanks for the test data.
Add Chlorine - use liquid chlorine now to target range of 6-8ppm FC for 50ppm CYA See the
FC/CYA Levels
If this is a new fill I did not expect to see any CYA. Add stabilizer but do it in small batches so you do not overshoot. Target 50ppm CYA
When you are ready to add salt then increase CYA to 60-70.

Your TA is good so just use MA to lower pH into mid-7's.
Your CH is low, so need to increase that to 250 minimum.

Once you add chemicals, continue to circulate. Wait 30 minutes between adding chlorine and MA.
Use the sock method to add stabilizer
There was no stablizer 30 was the lowest number. I added 2 gal of liquid too see if I can get it on the chart

There was no stablizer 30 was the lowest number. I added 2 gal of liquid too see if I can get it on the chart
Not sure of the strength of the liquid stabilizer you added but per "Effects of Adding" on the PoolMath app two gallons will raise the CYA in your size pool to 22ppm. In the future, ditch the liquid and buy some granular stabilizer and utilize the sock method in front of one of your returns. Wait 30-45 minutes and then squeeze the sock until the CYA is completely dissolved and into the pool. It will take at least 48 hours for it to register when testing so be patient.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.