Reduced Flow After Installing New Timer

Jul 1, 2017
Central FL
Hello, new to the forum. My Intermatic timer failed (220v) so I replaced the internals. After doing this I seem to have a reduced flow coming from the pump. I initially thought a wire was loose, but I double checked and everything seems tight. I'm 99% sure I wired it in the same as the old one. Did I somehow reverse the polarity? How can I check this?

Is your pump motor a two speed? If just a single speed and 240v, there should only be two wires that power the pump. The only other wires should be a ground (green) and a bond wire (bare copper).

What does circuit 1 & 2 mean? Are they the two hot leads from a dual breaker?

Pretty sure it is a two speed motor. Unfortunately we inherited the pump when we purchased the home 2 years ago and the face plate is rusted. On the right it says "HP 1.5 1/4" and I believe the RPMs are labeled "3450/1725."

I have two (black) load lines connecting 2&4 to the pump, a green ground (also a ground on the motor itself on top of the pump) and then the fourth (red) wire which heads to terminal 1. I agree that the fourth wire is a little puzzling, but when I disconnect it from terminal 1 the pump does not operate.

I do get 240V readings off of the timer terminals when I measure off 1&4 and 2&3. This whole box is a mess as it used to control a heater and pool lights which were disconnected at some point.

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

If it is a two speed motor, you will need a two speed timer to switch speeds. Otherwise you will need to have a manual switch to switch between the speeds.

Is the bottom pic a manual switch? Is there a toggle on the outside of the cabinet?

With a two speed motor, there is a common line and the second power line is only applied to one of the two other lines at one time which is why you need a switch of some sort.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.