Reduce pump run time to slow pH rise?

zac280

Silver Supporter
May 29, 2018
Central Georgia
New pool this year, so I know I'll have a bad pH rise until the plaster cures. However, I wonder if decreasing my VSP/SWG runtime would help slow it. Currently running 24/7 @ 1600 RPM, SWG at 30% to keep FC 3-5 ppm (CYA 70, 50 ppm borates). I'm currently adding half a gallon MA every 5 days once it hits +8.0. Would doing something like VSP 8AM-8PM, 2600 RPM, SWG 60% help slow my pH rise at all? I like having the pump run 24/7, my water is always crystal clear and it barely registers in my electric usage. But I'm tired of the continuous acid additions.

No. Pump runtime does not cause pH rise unless it is creating aeration due to a spillover or water features running. In that case turn off the water features, not the pump.

Post a complete set of test results.

What is the pH, TA, CH of your fill water? You have an autofill?

Zac, You've got a few things going on which make the pH rise.
1) New plaster
2) SWG -some find the pH rises, I personally don't but I stay around 7.8 usually
3) water features...that water fall will do a lot to make the pH rise

You'll slow down as the plaster cures... up to about a year.
SWG- not a whole lot you can do there except run at higher percentage for shorter time (shorter pump time)
Waterfall- run at least a few minutes daily to keep the water chlorinated inside, but don't run continuously

Maddie :flower:

TA 60-70, never added base since start-up.
CH - 340. Fill water is 60 ppm, but CH seems to keep rising from 220 started at in Feb, never added more calcium.
Salt 3200
Only run the water features for a few hours on the weekends.
Rain seems to have no effect on pH.

My concern is that the continuous aeration from running the pump could significantly contribute to the pH rise. I don't see bubbles out of my returns, but the pump filter basket always gets a good amount of air in it. But nearly every time I open the air release on the cartridge filter, no air comes out. So it seems the only way to get the air out of the pump is to open the lid and start it back up again, just a pain since the filter basket doesn't need to be cleaned that often and the lid is hard to open/close. Most of the posts I've read on here seem to agree that SWGs are pH neutral, so the only other thing I can think is to alter is the pump run time. And if I run the pump at RPMs for shorter cycles, it might aerate just as much as running it 24/7 at low speed lol.

What I'm really dreading is having to keep up with it through the winter, since the current plan is keep it open year round.

Ch climbs as the plaster cures. CH is coming out of the plaster dust during the curing.

What speed are you running your pump? Running a VS pump at slow speed gets an air bubble in the filter basket. It is normal. It does not create aeration and raise pH.

Having to lower pH every 5 days is normal for a pool like yours. pH rise may slow down in 12-18 months. Let your TA drop to 50-60 as you continue to lower pH.

What is the pH, TA, CH of your fill water? You have an autofill?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.