Red Low Salt Light

BilboHaggins

Jan 27, 2019
Magnolia, Texas
So we installed a new pool this year. We have an inground gunite pool. The pool builder put salt in it Dec 6th. We are in Texas and have had a fairly mild winter. It ran good for about a week or two but then the Low Salt button has been on. I have been testing it weekly and adding acid for high PH readings. Chlorine this week was nonexistent so I know the salt cell is no longer generating chlorine. Occasionally the cold water system off button Pops up but if the temp is low will it also cause a low salt button to come on? We tried to take the water to a local pool store to get tested to add salt and they said it would be a waste of time because the cell isnt generating anything with the temp. If that's the case why isnt the low temp button on instead of the low salt?

B,
Welcome to TFP... a great place to find the answers to all of your salty questions... even if you are ashamed of the city you live in... :shark:

Low temperature often causes the SWCG's salt tests to be inaccurate once the pool water gets below about 55 degrees.

The best thing to do in the winter is to just turn the SWCG off and dose with Liquid Chlorine until the water temp is more than 55 or 60 degrees..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: MyAZPool
Ha! I wasn't sure if it wanted my state or city too! Hello from Magnolia.

I really wish my PB had mentioned that! Before we added the salt we had it off and used chlorine tabs. He acted like it wouldn't be a problem once we added salt because we're in Texas.

I guess I'm just paranoid if we got a bad saltcell or if it's normal due to cold water. Why have a cold temp feature on the cell if it really doesn't operate under a higher temp anyhow.

Thanks!

B,

Most likely right on the edge of working and not working..

For me, it is important that I know for sure that my SWCG is working or not... As the fall changes into winter, my SWCG will work one day because it is just hot enough, and not work the next day because it is a little colder.. So, for me anyway, it makes more sense to just turn it off and start using Liquid Chlorine.. Then I know for sure my FC level is where it should be..

I doubt anything is wrong with your system..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.