Recurring Metal Stains... worse than ever...

Carlos et al, With the rain and cloudy weather past few days my FC levels are still elevated (12) even with the swg dialed way back. I expect the MM to arrive tomorrow. With the elevated FC levels, would it be advisable to wait for MM addition until FC levels are back in normal range? I've read some things that say to get FC down before this addition or cloudy/very cloudy water can result. Any advice on what I should do?

Thanks. No just the VitC tablets I used for the trial of a few of the stained areas. Would I need to add a sequestering agent if I did add AA?

Tomorrow will be a full month since the initial Metal Magic treatment. The stains are not visible at this time although I added 12 ounces of MM yesterday after we had a full day of heavy rain.

Here is what the liner looks like as of a few minutes ago.

a7000337ca2a715ca9075004412f83e1.jpg

208d5adc161093de4003680119929515.jpg

I used 4 quarts for the initial treatment. In hindsight, I think I could have used 3 quarts for the initial treatment as MM works much slower than ascorbic acid.

So 4 quarts for initial treatment and looks like I'm averaging about a quart a week since.

I wish my weekly dose was much lower but I still prefer this to AA and the crazy high chlorine demand and cloudiness that comes with each AA treatment.

I'm buying MM by the case of 12 so the price per quart is around $14.

My previous approach with AA and Jacks Purple would only keep the stains away for 7-10 days at best.

Carlos, I'm getting ready to start my MM treatment. Do you turn off your SWG per the directions on MM bottle and leave your pump circulating for 48hrs? I see you are saying that FC is not affected by MM addition but just wondering if you are adding bleach to maintain FC level during this time? Thanks

aubie - carlos has more experience with this, but I can tell you that I did nothing special when I added the MM to my pool. Literally, all I did was add the 1/2 quart that my gallons required. Ran my pump/SWG the normal 2 hrs. twice a day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Carlos, I'm getting ready to start my MM treatment. Do you turn off your SWG per the directions on MM bottle and leave your pump circulating for 48hrs? I see you are saying that FC is not affected by MM addition but just wondering if you are adding bleach to maintain FC level during this time? Thanks

On my initial treatment, I turned off the SWG for the 48 hours as they suggest and manually added liquid chlorine for those 2 days. I did notice that MM did not really impact the FC level which was a pleasant surprise.

Now that I'm doing the weekly maintenance doses, I run the pool as I normally would and leave the SWG on.

Thanks Bob. How are your stains holding up with MM treatment?

- - - Updated - - -

On my initial treatment, I turned off the SWG for the 48 hours as they suggest and manually added liquid chlorine for those 2 days. I did notice that MM did not really impact the FC level which was a pleasant surprise.

Now that I'm doing the weekly maintenance doses, I run the pool as I normally would and leave the SWG on.

Thanks Carlos, it's only been a few hours but I can see major improvement already in stains lifting.

Holding up GREAT here - 2 quarts initially and then 16oz per week - so far pool is PERFECT 2 weeks in, :)

I'd also note (and I know it's questionable) that the culator I have has turned pink way more than ever before since starting this treatment. I know there's questions around the validity of culator, but the color change is of note to me.

Just wanted to feedback on how I'm doing over here ;)

Hey Carlos, fill that pool up with water immediately!! You'll damage the liner leaving it empty like that.....oh wait....

Looking good Carlos. All stains removed over here with the MM treatment. Just have to figure out a maintenance dosage or even if I need it. I'm thinking I probably will, but I am not going to dose again until I start to see staining.

Looking good Carlos. All stains removed over here with the MM treatment. Just have to figure out a maintenance dosage or even if I need it. I'm thinking I probably will, but I am not going to dose again until I start to see staining.

Sounds good. It looks like my MM tally for the month of June is exactly 5 bottles. That's higher than I was hoping but at least this regimen is a lot easier to carry out.

Expense wise I'm ahead of doing GLB Stain Magnet followed by Jacks Purple stuff. As I've mentioned before, I was having to use AA or GLB Stain Magnet every 7-10 days. I would also use a full quart of Jacks per week only to see the stains reappear.

So even though I'm using about the same amount of sequestrant as before, I don't have the expense of GLB Stain Magnet or AA. I also don't have the increased chlorine demand and cloudiness issues that follow AA treatments. Metal Magic is also about $5-6 cheaper per bottle.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.