Recurring Iron Stains.........ready to give up!!!!

diy_darryl

Jul 20, 2014
St. Louis, Missouri
We have County water and fight iron staining every year.

We do the AA treatment with great results but in no time at all the stains return, ALWAYS!

Our SWG quit during the last treatment a few weeks ago so our FC has never risen over 5 by adding bleach twice daily. Our pool is only 7,000 gallons and as a Hail Mary we dumped three full bottles of Jack's Purple in which is at least 4 times the 'recommended' amount and it did not help.

New SWG on order so still manually adding bleach.

PH got up to 8.0 one time but other than that has been 6.8 and no more than 7.2 (Would a high PH (only) precipitate the iron onto the surface?)

We obviously can't be doing the AA treatment monthly?

I'll pay about any price to be rid of this problem. Filter, Reverse Osmosis.......?

Is there something we are doing wrong or the iron level is just too high? (How to test for iron????)

What about polyfill in the skimmer, where do I find out more info on that?

Last edited:
Polyfill would be the first place to start. Cheap & easy. Beyond that and sequestrants, are you able to have fresh non-iron water delivered? That would be idea if there is such a source. Sure, you could try to aggravate the iron with an elevated pH and/or FC which might help with filtering, but then you do run the risk of some staining along the way. But if it precipitates enough iron to filter and lower the iron content in the pool, it may be worth trying.

No good cost effective source out here in the Country.

Just ordered a 3 stage water filtration system and Water Softener for my Plumber brother to install, wife wanted that anyway.

Will research polyfill. Just pack it in the skimmer? Seems counterproductive to flow, will Google it.

No good cost effective source out here in the Country.

Just ordered a 3 stage water filtration system and Water Softener for my Plumber brother to install, wife wanted that anyway.

Will research polyfill. Just pack it in the skimmer? Seems counterproductive to flow, will Google it.
This post says what I did to filter out with the polyfill -
Help!!! Iron stains from what??.
It worked very well. I put polyfill in each of my three skimmers although not completely packed - the polyfill took up maybe a third to half of the skimmer basket space. And I left the main drain a little open. No problems with flow at all. However, I don't add iron back with my fill water so you would have to do this repeatedly as the iron built back up again over time I guess.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.