Help!!! Iron stains from what??

EngineeredPool

Jun 5, 2019
East Lyme, CT
I'm so demoralized. We opened our pool a week ago. It was green but not too bad it seemed. This is our third year of pool ownership by the way. Previous years we SLAMed and then had pretty low maintenance seasons with our swg. This year its been staying green looking due to staining on the vinyl liner. I assumed organic and kept up the SLAM even when we passed the overnight test. Well today I tested the stains, first with a leftover chlorine puck from the previous owners (no change) and then with emergen -c (1000mg of vit c) in a sock and it immediately showed a difference. I am shocked. Why is there iron in the pool? We do have a company close the pool, would them adding something (an algicide?) once a season do this?? Ph was low this time when we opened, could that be the cause? Are we screwed now that it's in there? The fix seems like an overwhelming process right now, we have three kids, one of which is only 10 months old and I just can't deal with this right now. Somebody talk me down, can we just use the pool leaving the stains?? Is there something easier to do than the AA treatment? Will this happen every year now? I'm probably being dramatic but omg I feel like crying. Attached pic of the stains, light spot to the right is where I put the vit c sock.

Levels before SLAM (keeping FC above 12 right now)
Ph - 6.9 (I did add soda ash to bring it up to 7.3 but did not re-test)
TA - 80
CH -100
CYA - 20
Salt - 2200

Thank you for any help :(

Attachments

• PXL_20220521_140041171_copy_756x1008.jpg
    PXL_20220521_140041171_copy_756x1008.jpg
    380.6 KB · Views: 65
The iron staining is cosmetic. So it does not change the sanitary properties of your water. So if you do not have the time to deal with the stain, leave it. I doubt the kids will care if the pool is stained or not.

Your fill water has some iron in it. The water company does not have to test or report that. There may be iron water lines in your area (likely fairly old).

The AA process is how you would clear it. The best thing if your water is not too costly is to treat the pool with AA and drain down to the bottom step in the shallow end. That should reduce the iron enough to keep it from staining. Hopefully.

Reactions: zapados
Thanks for the confirmation that it's cosmetic. I've been reading further and am still debating whether to try it. I did notice that the areas I had added soda ash in (powder and moved around with brush to absorb) are less stained than the other areas. I can't seem to find anything about whether that helps support that its an iron stain or not... Or something else.

I am going to retest tonight for the overnight loss to see if I am at the end of SLAM anyway. I was going to get the salt up but am unsure from reading if that should wait or not if I am going to pursue AA.

I am still a little confused about the staining since everything I am reading says metal staining shows up at higher ph and higher FC and the stains were there when we opened with a low pH and no FC. I guess I am still hesitant to do some intense treatment and then find out we were wrong from the cause.

Maybe we will ignore it for now and then do it later this season, at the end? Anyone know if pros/cons of doing it sooner than later. Sigh. Thanks for the help!

When doing an AA treatment, it is best to do when the water is cold. That is because the FC drops to 0 (the AA consumes the FC). So late season is a good idea.

Do some investigation on iron in your fill water. I would suspect you get quite a bit of rain and not have to use fill water much.

Ok so my husband wants us to pursue getting the pool back to it's usual glory. So I've been reading more and trying to get a game plan together. If I use the vit c (AA) to raise the stain then why wouldn't I use the polyfill method to filter it out after instead of using sequestrant for the rest of the season? Also reading that some sequestrant will also remove the stains as long as they aren't too old/your mileage will vary. I like the usual black and white measuring using my TF kit and adding only super necessary things to the pool. This whole metal cleaning thing seems a lot less straightforward.

If there is iron in your fill water (probably) then iron will ALWAYS be reentering your pool. Running your fill water through a whole house water softener eliminates that issue.......do you have one?

We do have a whole house filter, not sure if it's on the hose line, I'll check. If it's from the fill water why wouldn't we have had this issue the past two summers? I'm struggling with spending $162 on vitamin c, algaecide, and enough sequestrant and having to watch my fc and ph like a freaking hawk all summer when we enjoyed such low maintenance the last two years. It's seems like it's going to be a pain in the butt to prevent the staining from coming back and having to spend all this time and money again to clear it up. I don't understand why we are having this issue this year when we haven't previously.

Whole house filter is used on our fill water (hose from municipal water source).. and rain does most of the job actually. The source of the metal is still not making sense to me :( But I guess now it's there and since I don't know the source it's probably always going to be there?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks like I'm about to buy lots of things to try to fight this. Still not quite understanding the state of the iron and ability to actually remove it. Understand once sequestrant is used it definitely can't be filtered out. Still unclear whether after using the AA and algaecide there is an opportunity to try to filter out using polyfill etc. I've read so much conflicting information today on metal staining. I guess we are going with iron (vit c spot worked) with unknown source! Even though iron shouldn't have shown up with low pH and no FC at opening, ugh.

Full AA isn’t truly needed, spot use it what I recommend, it will eventually get rid of most staining. Using a sequestrant isn’t truly expensive over a summer, it’s a once a week dosing. Metals come from tons of sources, municipal water towers, municipal piping and especially well water. I service a 200 sq mile area, a lot of my pools in two townships have serious metal staining, while 3 have zero. Has your area added anything this year versus the previous two!

What are you using to dose your pool with chlorine? Liquid, pucks if SWCG?

Pool_medic the staining is all over the vinyl liner so spot treatment isnt going to work, haha. I'm not sure if the municipal water has changed but we haven't added any water since last Sept so it would have had to have been something from back then. We haven't used a single puck in the 3 years we have owned the pool, only liquid chlorine, this is the first year we have had any stains. Usually we just SLAM to open and then easily maintain using the swg. I'm still stumped by how this happened but I guess at this point it's just time to move on from the mystery! I'm more upset by the prospect of having to be strict on my pH and FC when I've enjoyed two years of barely having to check it because the pool has been so steady and consistent! My luck rain out!

The only time TFP suggests going to a pool store is to test for metals. Take a sample to a pool store, let’s see the level of iron in the water. Do not buy anything. Say thank you and leave. Unless they have a good price on LC then buy a gallon.

I would do your AA treatment at the end of the year, right before you close. The water is cold, and you will be draining water to close your pool. The pool will fill over the winter from iron free snow melt.

The Polyfill method to extract the iron is hit or miss. It is also much harder to do with a sand filter. unless you want to build a dedicated filter bucket with a sump pump.

If you choose to do it now, do it before you water temp gets up (what is your water temp now?).

Over the summer if you see a large rainstorm coming drain you pool an inch or more based on what you expect. Rain water is iron free.

Thank you both!

I actually have never been to a pool store so I'll have to look them up in my area, haha. I was a lucky one that found this site when we were buying the house I read that once it's staining though the metal reading in the pool is probably not going to be that accurate.

I was going to get started on the AA treatment this week, our pool is usually in the 60s most of may but we had a heat wave this weekend so it's warmer and we just didn't pass the overnight test last night so I am keeping myself at SLAM levels for now (how it passed other days and not last night, who knows, maybe the heat wave is to blame). Supplies won't all arrive til Thursday and then I'll see where we are in testing, looks, and water temp.

why wouldn't we have had this issue the past two summers?
The iron in my fill water took 5 years to accumulate enough to precipitate out into stain. Unless someone put it there, iron only gets in your pool water from the fill source......most commonly a well. if I understand you correctly. you are refilling with softened water, is that right?

The iron in my fill water took 5 years to accumulate enough to precipitate out into stain. Unless someone put it there, iron only gets in your pool water from the fill source......most commonly a well. if I understand you correctly. you are refilling with softened water, is that right?
I don't know if it's softened. It's municipal water that is going through a whole house filter (has a filter cartridge but we don't have something we add salt soften to or anything). That would make sense that it might just be accumulated. I did find some metal out stuff in the previous owners pool supplies so that might be it. It takes a while to show up.

Looks like I'm about to buy lots of things to try to fight this. Still not quite understanding the state of the iron and ability to actually remove it. Understand once sequestrant is used it definitely can't be filtered out. Still unclear whether after using the AA and algaecide there is an opportunity to try to filter out using polyfill etc. I've read so much conflicting information today on metal staining. I guess we are going with iron (vit c spot worked) with unknown source! Even though iron shouldn't have shown up with low pH and no FC at opening, ugh.
I decided to do an AA treatment this year. I had my fill water tested, and the iron content is "ND" (not detectable), so my fill water wasn't the issue. In my case I had a rebar stain that was producing active rust from a piece of rebar too close to the surface of the plaster. I mean active like last season rust particles formed in a lump on the plaster where this rebar was and brushing it poofed off a big cloud of rust! I took too long to deal with it (multiple seasons) and trying to get someone out to fix it during pandemic times was really difficult so it was end of last season by the time someone came out for it. So by the time I took my pool water to the pool store for an iron test, the level was 0.2. I had orange stains on my white plastic fixtures in the pool - like the main drain and intakes for the waterfall etc and also brown staining on my plaster.

I have a 40K gallon pool so put two pounds of AA in, sprinkling around the edges. The miracle everyone else describes is real! The plaster and all fixtures looked brand new in short order! But I didn't want to use sequestrant because it is expensive (someone above said it wasn't, but it seems to be about $30 per quart, so $120 for me every time I would have needed to top it up!) And because I am not adding iron back via my fill water, I just wanted the iron gone from my pool water! I put polyfill (ripped out of some $2 walmart pillows) in the three skimmers I have and turned the main drain closer to closed than I normally have it to pull more water through the skimmers. After 24 hours I started raising the chlorine again fairly slowly - which was easy because the AA seemed to be eating the chlorine in a big way! The pool stayed sparkling and polyfill bright white, until about five days later when I started pushing the chlorine up higher and my ph had gone up a bit to 7.6 or so. Then over the course of an hour, my pool went from completely crystal clear to lime green - but still very clear. From that point on the polyfill in the skimmers started turning brown, and it took about 24 hours of leaving the filter on high speed, changing the polyfill a few times and keeping the chlorine around 3-4 or so to get the pool clear again. There may be some slight staining back, but certainly nothing compared to what it was! I may do another half strength AA treatment, but I'm not sure. So it's too soon to call success yet I guess, because maybe the staining will come back over the coming week or two. But so far, I am hoping I got alot of the iron out by filtering and avoided using any sequestrant.
The pictures below show
1) the pool after AA treatment
2) the pool after the one hour change to green color that happened a few days later
3) the polyfill after it had been in the skimmers overnight that same night
4) the pool after 24 hours of polyfill filtering following the lime green color change with chlorine around 3-4. It's 95% clear (that picture was taken in less light than the first one - they aren't really as different as they look). That is a watermelon ball 9 feet deep in the last picture.

ED8467A8-7FA0-4507-A9CA-AF57298AEE3E.JPGIMG_2314.JPGIMG_2315.JPGIMG_2316.JPG

Last edited:
Hi so, I battled with iron for a few years. My pool came with the house and it was already there.
I did the AA treatment a few times and to be honest it was a paint in the butt and I would never do it again. I'd just deal with the staining. Yes, it was glorious watching the pool immediately turn bright blue, but the stress of keeping the chlorine and ph just right and never adding too much chlorine but making sure i had enough not to have algae in the summer... and then failing on that and getting algae and having to slam, which made the iron all come back out... it never lasted more then a couple of weeks for me. But I think I had a ton of iron, other people have much better results.

I did find another method that worked for me. It was using ONLY Proteam Metal Magic. I would put 3 bottles in, and over the course of about a week, the stains would lift out. It's not as fast as AA treatment, but it worked, and I was able to keep my FC at normal levels, and there was no fight to bring it back up after (the AA will eat t he chlorine for a while). After that I'd add some every week or two, how much depends on the amount in your water... if I saw any staining coming out, I'd put a whole bottle or two in and it would be gone the next morning...
MetalMagic is expensive and I would certainly suggest doing an AA treatment and then draining and replacing the water if you can. If you really cannot, I would try MM alone first. Maybe it will work for you as well as it did for me. Find a good place to buy it from. Sometimes e-bay was best.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.