Liquid Chlorine
Test numbers:
FC: 5
CC: 0
TC: 5
CYA: 50
TA: 90
pH: 7.5

Water remains clear but I have green algae on the walls/floor every 2-3 days. I brush it, water gets a touch cloudy but it’s clear by morning. 2-3 days later it’s back. I had been using powdered shock and 3” tabs until a week ago when I switched to liquid chlorine. Thoughts?

Welcome to TFP Dan!

You've got a good test kit...good decision.

To get rid of algae, you need to complete the SLAM Process. Read through the article and let us know if you have any questions. You'll need to have at least 8 gallons of liquid chlorine on hand and you'll need to test often in order to maintain SLAM FC level according to the FC/CYA Levels.

Reactions: jeffchap
Welcome to TFP Dan!

You've got a good test kit...good decision.

To get rid of algae, you need to complete the SLAM Process. Read through the article and let us know if you have any questions. You'll need to have at least 8 gallons of liquid chlorine on hand and you'll need to test often in order to maintain SLAM FC level according to the FC/CYA Levels.

Thank you for the reply. I did scan the SLAM info previously but didn’t pay enough attention to the details. I’ve already brought the CYA down from 85 (I was using stabilized chlorine for a while) and thought I was in a good zone at 50 but I’ll drop/refill the water more on Monday. The pool has been in place for about 20 years but we just bought the house so this is just my second season as a pool owner.

You can SLAM with a CYA level of 50. It will take a bit more FC to get to SLAM level. You can effectively manage a liquid chlorine pool day-to-day with a CYA of 50. It's your choice.

Just a quick follow up- I have a Hayward S200 sand filter with a 1 HP single speed Century pump. The pump is only a year old and the sand was replaced last summer. Is it worth working some DE to it before the SLAM? How much of a difference will that make?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.