Recurring algae

Kafitz12

Nov 10, 2020
Sc
I am a long time user of the TFP method. It worked successfully the first 5 years or so. For about the last year and a half I just can’t seem to stay ahead of the algae. I follow the SLAM to the letter. It usually takes about 10-12 gallons of bleach and several rounds. It is fine for about two weeks and then green comes back. We watch and correct levels w test kit, brush when needed, have a SWG, back flush, changed the sand in the filter, have socks on the skimmers, robot. I am ready to give up and do algacide. Any ideas?

Welcome (formally) to TFP! :wave: So you know about the SLAM Process. Ideally it should never get to that point if our water is balanced according to the FC/CYA Levels. So if you get algae, one of two things happened. Either the FC level dropped too low for the current CYA, or you never really got rid of the algae previously to begin with.

Now it's a matter of following the SLAM Process to the letter. No shortcuts. Knock it out once and for all. Also take a moment to update your signature. See mine as an example. It helps tremendously.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.