Rectangular intex pool deep end

Aug 9, 2014
Hi all, I have an 18 ft x 9 ft x 52" intex ultra frame pool. I was wondering if anyone has attempted to put a deep end in these pools.
I have an extra liner ( I bought the exact same pool kit off Kijiji for a dime). Wondering if I could either dig a sloped deep end,
say two ft deeper on one end. I understand you must keep about 2ft around the pool as a ledge and gently slope it down in the middle.
Would this put too much stress on the uprights?
d139b99f116178ca693f0d092367db70.jpg

These pools are not designed to incorporate deep ends. You will compromise the integrity of the structure.

What if the deep end runs down the center of a rectangular pool? Basically like a "V" shape running the length? Perhaps just digging down for the supports. IDK, just asking because our yard has a slight V shape where we'd need to put the pool and the thought of all that digging...ugh.

The OP was talking about digging a deep end in the center of his pool while keeping the edges within 2 feet at the normal height. He got talked out of it but I think it would have been fine. I don't see how the stresses on the structure would change. His liner floor may not have stretched enough though.

Your V is quite different and affects the perimeter. Highly doubt it could handle the stresses.

I am planning to add a swimming channel down the center of my new 16'x32' pool, when I get around to putting it up. I plan on making the center 1 foot deeper. I will compensate for the additional distance the material will have to span by raising the edges 3 inches. This will mean the sides of the pool will be shallower by 3". I'll also have to taper the ends of the pool down to the 1".

I'm not sure how much I would deepen the 9 x 18 pool, but I think you could get away with 6" deeper in the center. What will happen as you deepen the pool is the bottom gets "wider" which will cause the pool to turn more into a fish bowl. At some point the downward stress on the pool rails will cause the pool to collapse, or the stitching on the pool material will fail.intex pool bottom.jpg

The problem I see with your sketch is that it changes the loading angle of the metal legs of the pool. As can been seen in this post the legs of the intex frames can't handle any additional bending moment very well. The straps that hold the base of the legs need to be flat on the ground so that the legs are loaded at their design angle.

I don't think it was as much the result of the angle that the bottom strap attached to the legs changed, as by adding the two inch block the height of the pool was effectively raised 1.75", which increased the load on the legs.

The fact that the other legs (which would have the same loading) appear fine leads me to suspect there was something defective about that leg. He might have been able to use that leg if he'd repaired it with angle iron instead of flat bar.

The reason I'm going to raise the bottom of the pool 3" is to shorten effective leg so that the additional contour of the bottom doesn't add any weight to the leg. That bottom strap doesn't really add any force on the leg-- it just keeps the leg from spreading.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.