Rectangular gunite pool shot crooked

This sounds like the classic 1' off dilemma.. One guy measures 8' - 6" and the other guy measures 9'- 6".. Happens more then you would think.. Which is where the golden rule of measure "measure twice - cut once" comes in...

2) Build the retaining wall in line with the crooked pool edge so at least the retaining wall to to pool edge sight line is equal, then try to hide the difference on the upper deck?
Another option would be to split the difference. Build retaining wall 5" difference. Then to mask the differences you would "need" to set the tile grout lines at a 45 degree angle to the pool. You would want to sketch out scaled plan with the grout lines included to see if the illusion might possibly work.

1) Have them re-shoot the front wall of the pool, extending the left side to make it same distance from house as right side, basically making the pool a trapezoid so that it lines up with the retaining wall?
By this do you mean just adding gunite to the wall or removing wall and re-shoot?

If you just add gunite it looks like your spa will loose the the 10" and I think trying to square up both the spa walls would be difficult to make it look correct.

If you have them remove the wall and re shoot I do not believe I would be comfortable with any plan they came up with to re-do the rebar. I do not think they could get the same structural integrity from trying to tie back into the existing rebar. So that means if they leave the rebar where it is you will have the same issues of loosing 10" in the spa. Any fix like this I believe would still require setting the grout lines at a 45 degree to try to mask the differences.

In my humble opinion, you have 2 options.

1. Insist on a total rip out and re-do. This would almost certainly require some type of law suite.

2. Find the best option you can live with by changing the terrace wall layout and a paver pattern you can live with. A long radius wall could be another option. This of course would come with a substantial refund.

Reactions: Newdude
By this do you mean just adding gunite to the wall or removing wall and re-shoot?

If you just add gunite it looks like your spa will loose the the 10" and I think trying to square up both the spa walls would be difficult to make it look correct.

If you have them remove the wall and re shoot I do not believe I would be comfortable with any plan they came up with to re-do the rebar. I do not think they could get the same structural integrity from trying to tie back into the existing rebar. So that means if they leave the rebar where it is you will have the same issues of loosing 10" in the spa. Any fix like this I believe would still require setting the grout lines at a 45 degree to try to mask the differences.
Yeah, that's the thought I had...reshoot the front edge to be straight with the house and leave the rest, but I agree that sounds risky and hacky.

It's sounding like I'm just going to have to go the route of seeing what they'll do discount-wise to make me happy, or less unhappy.

Splitting the difference is a good idea with the retaining wall off by 5 inches and then the other 5 inches to be hidden on the upper marble decking. The spa side of the deck above the retaining will will have a kitchen area, so the skew could be hidden better up there.

Update after meeting with the PM and construction manager.

They confirmed what I was seeing and said the initial staking was done correctly but the framing team somehow moved it.

They said they would be able to correct it by chipping the front wall away and re-shooting it straight with no loss of structural integrity.

I know the rest of the pool will still be crooked but at least it would fix the most glaring aesthetic issue.

They said they would be able to correct it by chipping the front wall away and re-shooting it straight with no loss of structural integrity.
Did they provide you with any details on how they would accomplish this? Assuming the rebar is in the correct position IE .. skewed . The rebar cannot be any closer than 3 in from the surface of the gunite. So that would probably leave you very little room to shave off one side. Which means adding almost 10 in to the corner of the spa correct? Which would mean they would have to remove the two inside walls of the spa so you don't lose 10" of space in the spa. Even though those interior walls are not considered structural you would still want to insure they did the proper job of tying the new rebar back in to the floor.

I have an idea...

What about changing some of your retaining walls - giving them a nice curve?

The retaining wall you have designed with the steps could have a nice curve to it and still look nice. I did that with my big retaining wall just to break up all of the straight lines.

If you need more than a curved retaining wall then you could then do something to the pool decking/coping which would help hide the difference...perhaps some curved or triangular geometric concrete designs that are in two different tones to hide the pool being out of spec.

Last edited:
Did they provide you with any details on how they would accomplish this? Assuming the rebar is in the correct position IE .. skewed . The rebar cannot be any closer than 3 in from the surface of the gunite. So that would probably leave you very little room to shave off one side. Which means adding almost 10 in to the corner of the spa correct? Which would mean they would have to remove the two inside walls of the spa so you don't lose 10" of space in the spa. Even though those interior walls are not considered structural you would still want to insure they did the proper job of tying the new rebar back in to the floor.
It's the side opposite the spa that will come out 10 inches. The spa side will only move 1-4 inches.

I’m sorry but the answer you are looking for is not possible. Squaring the pool can not be done by adding Shotcrete or removing Shotcrete because you have a square inside the rectangle the spa and steps. What is the distance between the retaining wall with the steps and the pool? Your choice of decking with the three different sizes will work to your advantage to help hide the 10” offset but you know of this and will see it every time.
As far as compensation, the only true number will come from a P/B that bids to square the pool completely, so if you are going to talk to your P/B in regards to compensation you should all ready have this bid price to show that you are serious about getting this corrected, Ray.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have an idea...

What about changing some of your retaining walls - giving them a nice curve?

The retaining wall you have designed with the steps could have a nice curve to it and still look nice. I did that with my big retaining wall just to break up all of the straight lines.

If you need more than a curved retaining wall then you could then do something to the pool decking/coping which would help hide the difference...perhaps some curved or triangular geometric concrete designs that are in two different tones to hide the pool being out of spec.
I was just thinking about this thread and came back to say the same thing! It’s only noticeably off square because of the plan for the perfect square decking. If that had some natural curve to it, then the pool won’t show off in anything other than good ways.

Reactions: Bradenpool
At this point, I really agree with others that your best choice is leave the pool alone and redesign the deck. It doesn’t need to be curved, but trying to continue looking for perfect symmetry just won’t work. You will just be drawing attention to the error. My own pool is at an angle to the house, since it was aligned with my rear lot line instead of the house. Adding more deck on one side, or anything else that breaks the symmetrical look will help.

I hope this is fixable and you get a straight pool per your original design. My main suggestion would be could they build you a pergola above your spa and pool shelf (or some sort of beamed columns with lights).

You could also try to embrace the diagonal and highlight it, meaning the walls on the sides go straight still but the pavers be at a diagonal slant (at no additional price)--maybe long same size pieces. They could try to match the decking on your balcony (or make it an opposite direction slant--like a chevron). Then I'd consider diagonal corner steps on both sides or two rectangle cutouts with diagonal steps (one in both direction) vs the one center step cutout on the wall closest to the house. Basically alll the walls straight and use the steps to cheat the look.

I think there are design ways that can help you out of this mess they created.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bradenpool
I think I’d leave it alone and redesign the decking. Changing it to be non-rectangular may look even more odd and it still leaves you with how to do the decking/tile/etc that won’t be square to that edge of the pool.

I was just thinking about this thread and came back to say the same thing! It’s only noticeably off square because of the plan for the perfect square decking. If that had some natural curve to it, then the pool won’t show off in anything other than good ways.
I was thinking the same thing. As well, moving the stairs to the right where there is more deck space due to the 10 inches might help.

So they came back and did a full re-measurement and re-string to show what it should have been if squared to the house. Red circles in the pics below are the correct location for outer corners. So... yeah, off by a lot.

They agreed that there is no point in trying to salvage the pool at this point, so they are going to rip the entire pool out and redo everything.

IMG-9742.jpg

IMG-9743.jpg

Last edited:
Well I’m thrilled for you they agree to doing it right. So there’s that. Still sad in general tho.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.