Rectangle cover over an oval inground pool

bahively

Jul 20, 2020
CLERMONT CNTY, OH
Hello, I am a first-year pool owner. I am in the process of buying a winter cover for my inground pool. Since the pool is inground, my thoughts were that any cover over the pool would work as long as I can anchor into the concrete decking however far they may be form the pool edge. Rectangle covers are less expensive but the pool dealer says the rectangle cover will not work since it would not meet safety requirements. Does anyone know the safety problem with using a rectangle cover over an oval inground pool?

Never heard of this. My pool builder originally specified a rectangular safety cover on my kidney shaped pool but I asked him to use a kidney shaped cover at additional cost. In retrospect I would now just go for the rectangular one (1/2 the cost).

Safety covers come with Chafe strips sewn into the bottom of the straps where the cover crosses the coping.

If the cover is not sized correctly, there will not be any protection between the straps and the coping.

The friction will cause premature wear at the intersection of the straps and the coping.

This will void the warranty and it will probably void the safety rating of the cover.

Reactions: 1Sammy
I know this thread is a bit old but not as old as some....
To save a couple hundred dollars, 7 years ago I purchased a rectangular mesh safety cover for my oval in ground pool. We have used it every winter. Its still in great shape. We just built a freeform pool at our new house. At an even more substantial savings I am leaning toward the same solution for this pool....which at 14x30 is a less standard size but we have plenty of concrete around the pool to accommodate the larger cover.

Good Morning
First year pool owner here
I am in the process of purchasing a winter cover for my oval above ground pool, I am assuming the same would apply to using a rectangular cover as long as I have enough length to cover and also prevent the flapping??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.