Recovering a Pool that Got Out of Balance

linen said:
I would do another OCLT tonight with your fingers crossed. What does the water look like?

It was a little hazy the other day, but it looked pretty clear today. The test that came back with a FC level of 19.5 was taken just before dusk with a heavy overcast so I will use that as the starting point for another OCLT.

There has been some yellowish/orange color staining on the liner in some spots that I am told has been present most of the season. It is an issue that has popped up at least the past three seasons to my knowledge. This is my 1st summer in a few years not working out of state so I have not been present to witness it until now. I am told a few doses of something called yellow out resolved that issue in the past. My running theory on that is some metal staining since it wont brush off and I recall my mother mentioning that the pool store detected copper in the water at the start of the season. She put some kind of algicide in when she closed the pool last fall and I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of the not so great kinds that contained copper. It is not covering the entire liner, but it is widespread. The water itself is clear.

Brushpup said:
Yep there is still something in there. What was your CC level? Sorry I don't know about the "yellow out", and the staining. Did the water change color on you?

CC is zero. I forgot to check the skimmer yesterday and found 2 decomposing rodents in there a few minutes ago. I suppose that could qualify as "organic material". I am told the staining on the liner and stairs has been present all season. The ladder was not put in until several weeks ago and the white steps on that are stain free so whatever caused it is likely not present in the water anymore.

3xNKy.jpg

3xNLU.jpg

3xNN6.jpg

Ummmm Yep, that would qualify. I would not say for sure by the photo, but the steps look like Iron staining to me. Just remember there are 3 criteria that must be met before you are completely done with shocking. I would not use the ladder as an indicator there is nothing left to stain. Whatever it is, I imagine is still there unless you did a water change. Sorry I don't remember now.... If it is metal staining the metal just doesn't go away.

Russd3 said:
I am told a few doses of something called yellow out resolved that issue in the past.
The "Yellow Out" we are familiar with is a product that essential adds ammonia to the water that combines with existing chlorine to form a monochloramine that then kills algea. Then the monochloramine needs to be removed with more chlorine. We do not consider it trouble free and do not recommend it.

Since, like brushpup, at least on the steps it looks to me to be metal staining,"Yellow Out" is not the right way to remove it. Try a vitamin C tablet on the stain on the stairs and see if it lessens.

techguy said:
I can't tell from the photo but do you have a thin layer of green on your liner or is there a lot of green in the print? I would say to stay at shock and brush everything.

The cell phone isn't catching it very good. It is the same thing that is on the stairs. It isn't green, isn't slimy, and doesn't brush or rub off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You guys are really helping me learn. I'd never heard of CYA until local pool store measured mine at 200. Response on my thread was "Yikes!". I have several issues I'm battling, and have ordered a good quality testing set to stay out of the pool stores. Keep up the great guidance!

Moving in the right direction, albeit slowly. Just completed another OCLT. Started with a FC of 21 and ended with a FC of 18 so lost 3ppm overnight.

These have been performed on consecutive nights
OCLT #1 = loss of 8.5ppm
OCLT #2 = loss of 4.0ppm
OCLT #3 = loss of 3.0ppm

Things are looking really good now. Have only lost a total of 1.5ppm on my free chlorine in the past 72 hours. I am still closer to shock level than a normal FC level, but that will come down over time.

FC = 16.5
CC = 0.5
PH = 7.2 (plan to raise this slightly)
TA = 110
CYA = 65

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.