Reconfiguration for Adding Water Feature...

Feb 17, 2017
HI
I'm trying to determine what equipment and configuration would best suit the following application. I have an existing in-ground salt-water pool (approx. 24'x13'x5') that has a 36" sheer descent waterfall that spills into the pool. The pool and waterfall run off of the same pentair intelliflo variable speed pump, filter, etc. In a location away from the pool, I am now adding a waterbowl that spills into a 336 Gallon (45 CuFt) pond. The waterbowl has about 24" of spillway and we're just looking for a gentle flow of water (not a lot of throw). Also, the equipment area (pump(s), etc.) is about 60 Ft away from the pool/waterfall and about 40 Ft away from the pond/waterbowl. And the pond/waterbowl has 2" piping running to/from it. And the waterbowl sits on a 2FT pillar base that comes out of the center pf the pond.

In terms of configuration I'm considering two directions:

1. adding a second pump that's dedicated to running the pond/waterbowl pond/waterbowl?
  2. running everythingeverything (pool/waterfall & pond/waterbowl off of the same pump, etc. and using actuators to operate each of the three facilities (pool filtration, waterfall (pool), and pond/waterbowl feature)?

If option #1, what size pump would appropriate for the pond/waterbowl?
If option #2, would this be a viable way to go, assuming that I had a convenient method of operating the actuators? And am I correct that I would need two actuators to divert the VS pump's flow between the 3 separate features (pool, waterfall, pond/waterbowl)? Also, am I also correct that if remote control of at the actuators (i.e., from within the home) could only be achieved by adding a pool controller?

I hope my attempt at describing my situation didn't offer more confusion than explanation. I could really use some advice on this asap. Thank you in advance.

Hi,

Seeing as you already have the Intelliflow pumps I feel your best option would be to install the Pentiar IntelliTouch system. This will allow you add two (or more ) actuators to control your features, and inthe settings you can adjust the pump speed to get the desired results with your waterfalls. I would suggest getting the indoor controller as this will allow you to program the valves and features to work how you like. The good thing abot getting the automation system is it gives you the ability to add other systems such as pool lights, yard lights etc and all can be controlled from a controll panel in your house or can be upgraded so you can just use your phone. If you have the pentair salt system this can also be contected to it and adjusted from your phone as well. Very good systems when set up correctly.

Bridgway, thank you for the response. Adding the automation controller sounds like the way to go. This seems to not only avoid having a second pump but allows us central control of the pool filtration cycle, pool lighting, pool waterfall, pool tiki torches (automated ignition), and then also the pond/waterbowl. Does it need to be the Intelli'Touch' or do you think the EasyTouch would be suitable as well (less expensive I believe... and would the 4P work, or would it need to be the 8P?

Hi,

Seeing as you already have the Intelliflow pumps I feel your best option would be to install the Pentiar IntelliTouch system. This will allow you add two (or more ) actuators to control your features, and inthe settings you can adjust the pump speed to get the desired results with your waterfalls. I would suggest getting the indoor controller as this will allow you to program the valves and features to work how you like. The good thing abot getting the automation system is it gives you the ability to add other systems such as pool lights, yard lights etc and all can be controlled from a controll panel in your house or can be upgraded so you can just use your phone. If you have the pentair salt system this can also be contected to it and adjusted from your phone as well. Very good systems when set up correctly.

It really depends on if you plan for anymore upgrades in the future? Can you think of any move additional lighting or features that you might want to control in the future? I always like the thought of having at least one or two extra relays to future proof the install and to act as back up parts if needed quickly. Could save you a lot of money in the future buy getting the model that is slightly over sized.

you may not have enough flow to run the sheer decent and the bowl along w the pool returns so you will prob need valves on each line to be able to adjust the flow to them and then you will dial that in with the speed of the pump. you will basically give the waterfall and the bowl what they need at whatever speed and the rest goes to pool returns if that makes sense, def want automation for this unless you dont mind adjusting a valve and the pump speed manually, may not be a big deal if your pad is easy to get to. water features are fun at first, after a year or so they get used when guests are over mainly. they run up your PH too but you can def do what you want w ur existing pump you need 1 GPM for every inch of waterfall and prob half that for the bowl. Dont know about pentair but my ecostar VSP can do 90+ GPM on high speed you prob can too

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.