Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Preparing to have pool built in SoCal.

Starting to research the Pool and Door alarm options that are required to meet my inspection requirements based on our design. Any suggestions.

Door Alarms
- Insteon setup (Insteon Open/Close Sensor or Hidden Door Sensor + Insteon Siren / Chime) --- I have Insteon automation so might be nice fit if approved
- EverNary Door Window Pool Alarm with Remote Control (3 sensors with remote)
- .. other suggestions??

Pool Alarms
- Poolguard PGRM-2 In-Ground Pool Alarm
- ...other suggestions??

Note:
  • All gates are self closing and locking
  • Based on pool design not going with auto pool cover
  • Trying to avoid the mesh safety fence around the pool

Last edited:
I've been looking to alarm my doors and pool as well. In MA, the only alarm that actually meets the code is from PoolGuard.
1594263436043.png

They do seem very safe since they can't be permanently disarmed (except if you remove the batteries). Instead, they have a 7 second delay that allows you to open the door, then push a button to temporarily disarm for 15 seconds when adults want to pass through. A great feature if you have young kids that are just learning to swim.
However, I can't get my wife to agree to put these up on the 4 doors that go to our yard, especially when no one we know actually has anything like this on their doors.

For the in ground/in pool alarm, people seem to complain about too may false alarms. But, I'm curious what other people have bought that works well.

I did get a different type of system for my 4 year old. Its the Safety Turtle 1594264010146.png We've used it once. The alarm stays in the house. So for us, Its not loud enough to hear if we're in the front yard gardening and she goes in the back by the pool. Nor would we hear it if we are upstairs showering, but its pretty loud otherwise. One solution would be to get some additional alarm units so we can hear them from more places. It says there's a 200' range but haven't tested that. We also did have one false alarm when the thing wasn't even wet. So I'd say this may be a decent option at best.

Good luck

Were you all required to have latches on windows keeping them from opening more than 4”? I’m having an impossible time with the requirements for our permit inspection this week in Austin. Builder says supposed to be ASTM F 2090 rated. 12 windows. Casement windows that crank out. Only thing I’ve found with rating takes two weeks to arrive and costs $100/ each... times 12. Thanks!

Pool guard was the only ones that would meet the requirement that I could find. Bought on Amazon and returned after inspection. Not suggesting you do that. :unsure:
Thanks so much. Was this for door alarms? I think I ordered those for the doors- same- only saw those for requirement . $70- something each. Considered doing same. People in my neighborhood have used GE 2/$12 ones and passed, but they don’t have the rating, and I never have good luck with things. Don’t want to blow inspection and have to redo- time not on my side for that. I can’t find the 12 window latches though aside from the $100/ ea which won’t arrive until much later than I want this inspection (have another project starting week after next which needs pool to pass first).

That was for doors. We do not have a requirement for windows. I saw much cheaper ones too like the GE. The inspector here I'm sure would not pass it (Asked ahead of time). I also pulled my screen doors off or they would need an alarm too. Once passed, screens wen back on.

I also have a Safety Turtle kit, This option also works for pets with its included pet adapter. It attaches to a dog's or cat's collar and alerts the owner when they enter the water. As a result, everyone, from toddlers to dogs, may be safeguarded by the same alarm system.

Last edited:
Are you planning to keep these on your doors and windows as a legit safe-guard for pool area entry?
or
are you just needing to pass inspection.

I ask because I have a bunch available....
Yeah me too. Came off the day after inspection.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In FL there are only two alarms that are allowed that meet code. Both are big and ugly. We installed them to pass inspection, then removed them. I'm retired, live in a 55+ community, and my entire back yard is enclosed with a 6ft high stone wall (they call it a Courtyard Villa in The Villages).

In GA we had a much wider choice of alarms. We used something similar to these - https://www.amazon.com/Toeeson-Trig...76544&sprefix=door+window+alarm,aps,92&sr=8-4. They worked great, were small, and didn't look out of place.

I believe that all you have to do is make the windows inoperable or limit the opening to less than 4”. Usually very easy by attaching a block of wood or angle iron bracket.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.