Sep 10, 2019
Houston, TX
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
A good friend of mine called me and is struggling with his pool....first question was type of chlorine and the answer was tabs. I ran my Taylor kit over and checked all his numbers. He is pretty out of whack. Here are the numbers for his ~17k gal pool:

pH = 7.9
FC = 5
TA = 150
CH = 360
CYA = 100
Temp = ~90F
LSI = ~0.8

He told me he had a bit of algae yesterday and so he shocked. I am not sure what his FC got to, but I doubt it was high enough to work. My thoughts are this:

1. Pump pool level down by 1/3ish to reduce CYA (and CH) w/goal to end up at 50. Alternative would be to toss hose in and let it run for a few days instead of renting a pump.
2. Get pH and TA under control.
3. SLAM with liquid chlorine
4. Clean filter and vacuum pool
5. Set him up to quit using tabs and switch to liquid

Would this be the best course of action?

Would this be the best course of action?
Basically yes. But in item 2, I wouldn't worry about the TA at all until everything is settled. Of course once the water is exchanged and you are satisfied with the CYA, lower the pH to 7.2 before starting the SLAM Process. Don't forget step 6 - Have him get his own TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C. :)

Step 7 optional - buy you a few drinks for the help. :cheers:

Basically yes. But in item 2, I wouldn't worry about the TA at all until everything is settled. Of course once the water is exchanged and you are satisfied with the CYA, lower the pH to 7.2 before starting the SLAM Process. Don't forget step 6 - Have him get his own TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C. :)

Step 7 optional - buy you a few drinks for the help. :cheers:
Step 6 was Step 0...Right after stop going to Leslies! They told the guy that his CYA was 5!!! At least I had told him the night before not to trust those clowns. He thought something was up when they told him to buy and add a GALLON of CYA.

• Haha
Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.