Recommended FC levels after opening

Poolecw

Apr 5, 2019
NW Ga
I have a 24k SWG pool and am planning on opening this weekend. This is only my second opening.

Do you recommend using liquid chlorine to get the FC up or let the SWG run at 100% until the level is reached? Speaking of recommended FC levels, would you adjust to get the recommended FC level or would you run it up to slam levels (for good measure) for a few days and then let it drift down to recommended level? I haven't removed the safety cover yet, but I have peaked. The water is clear but there is a little grime on the steps.

Use liquid chlorine- then let the swg take over.
If things look iffy at all or you were below minimum for your cya go to slam level to be on the safe side then do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. Much easier to do battle when the water is chilly & before you possibly raise cya.
It looks like you closed in November @/near slam level so I’m betting u have a decent amount of fc left.

Do you recommend using liquid chlorine to get the FC up

Yes, use LC to get your FC to target.

or let the SWG run at 100% until the level is reached?

Your pool is 24K and the TruClear cell is rated at 30K. That is barely adequate for your pool even when run at 100%.

Speaking of recommended FC levels, would you adjust to get the recommended FC level or would you run it up to slam levels (for good measure) for a few days and then let it drift down to recommended level?

Get your FC a few ppm above the target.

Do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test after everything is running for a few days. You only need to go to SLAM levels if you fail the OCLT. No reason to waste chlorine otherwise.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thanks for the replies.

I actually was able to remove the cover and get everything going yesterday evening. The water was clear but there was A LOT of pollen on the surface and some leaves. Running the pump overnight took care of most of that pollen. Below are my initial results. I've already added some LC and dry stabilizer. I'll pick up some salt today and also work on getting pH in line.

FC = 2.0
CC = 0.0
pH = 7.0
TA = 50
CYA = 15
Salt - 1500 ppm

I uncovered my pool yesterday and have the following initial test results. I've already added some LC and stabilizer to address the FC and CYA.

FC = 2.0
CC =0.0
pH = 7.0
TA = 50
CH = 75
CYA 15
SALT = 1400

Before adding anymore chemicals, I'll get another sample (since the pump has been on for 24 hours.)

My question is around pH and TA. Should I use Borax or Soda ash? From what I understand, Borax increases pH and slightly increases TA. Soda ash will raise both pH and TA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.