Recommended CYA level for Chlorine Pool with salt added.

Psycho1122

Silver Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
Mesa, AZ
Hello;

I have been able to consistently keep our new pool water balanced, SUPER Crystal clear and due to added salt and TA @ 90, it FEELS great.

My only quandary is an IDEAL CYA level. I have printed the CYA / FC chart and refer to it regularly. Since our pool is sanitized "Primarily" with Liquid Chlorine (10%) and maybe a 99% tri-chlor puck in the Deck-Chlor at about a rate of 1 puck a week. Early on after start up, my CYA was consistently around 30-50. Then it made the move to around 100 as of 2 weeks ago. I did a partial water exchange and CYA dropped to 70.
With our pool being a "Hybrid" (Chlorine w/ salt), where would our Experts have the CYA at? Me personally, I would rather have a lower Chlorine demand of 3-5 than the current 7 ppm.

Here are my current levels with my K-2006 FAS/DPD kit...

TA = 90
PH = 7.4
CC = 0
CH = 350
CYA = 70
FC = 7.0 (I utilize the TFP app to manage levels. @70 CYA, it recommends 5.0 - 10.0 FC?!?)
Salt = 2500 ppm

Thank you!

Unless you have a Salt Water Chlorine Generator, your pool is managed using the non-SWCG chart. The salt in the water does not matter. All pools chlorinated with liquid chlorine or trichlor get salt built up in them.

Thank you Gentleman! So I will do an additional water "exchange" to drop my CYA back down to 30-50. I am also backing off on the pucks. I do not enjoy the rapid CYA rise and thus Chlorine demand. The Arizona Sun eat's up the Chlorine enough.

Cheers!

With the Sun that we get, just leave it at 70 PPM to better protect your chlorine. I don't think there's any reason to replace your water to lower CYA.

Although, you need to completely stop using the pucks or your CYA will continue to go up.

With the Sun that we get, just leave it at 70 PPM to better protect your chlorine. I don't think there's any reason to replace your water to lower CYA.

Although, you need to completely stop using the pucks or your CYA will continue to go up.

I hear you. However, I do not like the higher chlorine demand. The boys started to say they could "smell" the 7 ppm vs. the 5 PPM. Even though the CC is 0. You say?

Cheers!

If you smell 'chlorine', it is because it is consuming something. Like pee.

I have had my pool at 6 ppm and 20 ppm FC. No difference. I truly cannot tell.

Higher CYA does not cause higher FC demand, FC demand is caused by organics in the water. Higher CYA simply requires higher FC, but the buffering effect keeps it steady. The target levels at all CYA levels on the chart create the same active chlorine level, one should not be more noticeable than any other.

Chlorine reacts with sweat and sunscreen to create CC, people can typically smell chlorine when they first enter the pool. There's not enough CC in the bulk water to register, but on their body where it will be easily detected by smell it was higher.

Reactions: Psycho1122
Can you smell the chlorine in the pool or on the boys? If it is just on the boys tell them to shower before they swim. What they are smelling are CCs on their skin due to the chlorine oxidizing the sweat, oils, and bacteria we all carry on our bodies.

If you smell 'chlorine', it is because it is consuming something. Like pee.

I have had my pool at 6 ppm and 20 ppm FC. No difference. I truly cannot tell.

Sorry, NOBODY "pee's" in the pool, we have an outdoor option for that.

Can you smell the chlorine in the pool or on the boys? If it is just on the boys tell them to shower before they swim. What they are smelling are CCs on their skin due to the chlorine oxidizing the sweat, oils, and bacteria we all carry on our bodies.

I cannot detect it. My little one (8), says he can "smell the pool" but none of us can?!? We do have an outdoor shower we utilize to minimize CC. My testing always shows > .1 or "0" CC's. Bottom line, I will do the water exchange to drop the CYA level and some of the salt. Simple.

Thank to everyone who has chimed in. I appreciate it!

Cheers!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Thank you for your feedback. yeah, the pucks (even the 99%) added about 50 ppm since the end of February. And I was only going through about 1 puck a week? Now with the water at 90-92 degrees, the game has changed and I now consume about 2.2 gallons of 10% a week to keep it at 7 ppm FC. I'd like to see if I can reduce that.

Cheers!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.