Gold Supporter
Nov 6, 2022
Boynton Beach, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm redoing my pad plumbing and trying to decide where to put check valves. I have a pool and spa combo where the spa is above the level of the pool and the level of the spa is also slightly above the pump. The suction side has three lines for the spa, skimmer and main drain. The return has 2 lines for the spa and floor cleaner that goes to the pool. I have a heater, a salt cell, a pump and a filter. The spa return currently has a check valve but if any spa valves are open when the pump is off the spa will drain down to the inlets.

I plan to plumb a heater bypass, so I will install a check valve on the heater outlet before the bypass and the salt cell. Should I keep the spa return check valve? Should I put a check valve anywhere else?

What SWG are you installing?

Consider putting the SWG right before the 3-way valve for the spa/pool returns.

The check valve in the spa return needs to be there to prevent the spa from draining down when the pump is off.

Be sure to leave enough room around the filter - on all sides - so when the filter needs to be replacedyou have enough space for a bigger filter (~400 sqft cartridge filter) to replace your tinyFlorida sided 175 sqft filter.

Check valve in the spa return to prevent the spa draining into the lower pool. If you are installing a heater bypass the check valve after the heater is good. All flow should go through the SWG, no need for that extra plumbing.
Thanks, the installation for the cell recommends the loop due to the high pressure required for the floor cleaning system

What SWG are you installing?

Consider putting the SWG right before the 3-way valve for the spa/pool returns.

The check valve in the spa return needs to be there to prevent the spa from draining down when the pump is off.

Be sure to leave enough room around the filter - on all sides - so when the filter needs to be replacedyou have enough space for a bigger filter (~400 sqft cartridge filter) to replace your tinyFlorida sided 175 sqft filter.
The SWG is the pentair IC40

Add the IFCS info to your signature.

Based on the manufacturer recommendation to add that loop, you will need a way to adjustthe flow to the SWG. Waterwilltake the path of least resistance and flow to the cell won't be sufficient.

Reactions: DavidArmenB

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’m tempted to take out the guts of the floor cleaning system because otherwise I’m not sure if my automation can be made to manage another valve. I thought any flow would be enough to push water through the cell as well

I’m tempted to take out the guts of the floor cleaning system because otherwise I’m not sure if my automation can be made to manage another valve. I thought any flow would be enough to push water through the cell as well
Instead of installing as your picture, you could have the water run directly into the cell with the bypass route around it instead of how it is drawn, giving it direct flow and still allowing excess pressure/flow to have a place to go. Might work. If not, you can always add a valve if you leave the room in the plumbing.

I have an IFCS and a Circupool RJ45+.
Pump runs 24/7 - 20 hours per day at a low RPM (fast enough for the SWG to work) and 4 hours per day at 2900 RPM for infloor cleaning to work. No issues with the SWG.u

Remember, filter pressure is beforewater passes thru the filter media. The actual pressure in the return lines (and SWG) is less than the filter pressure.

What is your filter pressure with a clean filter at max RPM?
The increase in pressure with an IFCS is about 4-6 psi higher than without an IFCS at high RPM.

What is the specific statement the SWG manufacturer states about and IFCS or pressure?

What manufacturer and model number is the new pump?

They say it's designed to operated up to 105 gpm.
Then state the bypass loop must be used with flow rates over 80 gpm for best chlorine production.
Then state the bypass loop must be used with a flow control valve to assure that flow thru the cell doesn't exceed designed flow rates.

Seems contradictory and even they are likely confused.

What manufacturer and model number is the new pump?

They say it's designed to operated up to 105 gpm.
Then state the bypass loop must be used with flow rates over 80 gpm for best chlorine production.
Then state the bypass loop must be used with a flow control valve to assure that flow thru the cell doesn't exceed designed flow rates.

Seems contradictory and even they are likely confused.
It's an intelliflo3 011075.

With that pump, I think you will find you can run it at a lower RPM and still have sufficient flow to make the IFCS work correctly. And at times when you don't need the cleaning action of the IFCS, you can run it at a much lower RPM and still satisfy the SWG flow switch.

Of course, when using the heater, a higher RPM will be needed to activate the heater and the SWG flow switch than when the heater is bypassed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.