CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
we are looking into getting a hot tub, but the variety is almost as vast as mattresses. What is a brand, or a feature that is considered a must? we checked out a bullfrog dealer, but the prices were around 40k for an 8 person tub. Are there other brands that compare?

@RDspaguy (who'll be along when he's free) has frequently said that the dealer is almost/as imprtant as the brand.

The Costco tubs might be real attractive until you need them serviced and can't find anyone to work on them. They might *still* be attractive but go in with your eyes wide open.

$40k is outrageous and it must be a niiiiiiiice tub. :ROFLMAO:. There should be plenty of spa retailers by you to see what everybody else has.

In your cold climate any “plug & play” 110v option is out so that should eliminate alot of them.
Aside from that you should consider what equipment options you’re looking for such as:
a swcg, titanium heater, ozone or uv etc.
Some brands outright forbid swcgs & some brands sell them as an option so that could narrow the pool a bit.
After that it’s about size, looks, & features like jet types/amounts, waterfalls, loungers etc.
With such a large purchase having a local store with a decent reputation you can deal with incase of warranty or setup issues is ideal. Even more important if you’re not the self repair type of person after the warranty ends.
There are hot tub manufacturers based all over the United States so for some it is also important that they choose a local manufacturer YMMV.
There may be some brands to avoid for various reasons and if so I am sure @RDspaguy will enlighten us there.

One thing I discovered is prices are all over the place. $40k is unreasonable to me.

One thing I discovered is 70% of first time buyers choose loungers and 70% of second time buyers don’t. That helped me make a decision.

Hot Tubs with proprietary parts are a turn off to some people.

I’d only purchase from a dealer that has a physical building and has been in business several years. 5+ years or more would be best IMHO.

I wouldn’t buy a sound system again as I have to turn my volume up so loud to hear it, my neighbors could get annoyed.

Water falls and such mean nothing to me. To me.

You gotta get your butt in a few. You will be amazed how they all fit you differently. Without mentioning any names, one well known brand had my wife and I sitting too straight up. Not reclined enough.

I don’t care how reliable or good it is if you are uncomfortable sitting in it. You will be amazed.

Well, that’s about a dimes worth.

Conclusion, it must fit your body and you gotta have a great reputable dealer.

Ditto @Gebo !
I am short so loungers drown me!
My husband is a big guy so extremely contoured seats aren’t comfortable for him.
We couldn’t care less about water fountains/waterfalls & speakers.
I didn’t want a gajillion jets.
We live in the southern US with fairly mild winters.
I also wanted something smaller that wouldn’t take up our entire patio so I went with a less expensive plug & play 110v roto molded round tub with a flat seat all the way around & very few bells & whistles. I was unsure how much use the tub would actually get since it would be our first one so I didn’t want to spend 8-10k on it. That would cost more than our pool! 🤣
Its now 5+ years later & I think we’ll always be hot tub people even if we don’t have a pool! Our next one will probably be a little nicer & 240v. I looked up all the replacement parts for it before buying it to understand what to expect if trouble arose with my internet special lol. I am comfortable doing my own repairs if needed. I do this with every car I intend to purchase as well.
Although I have never owned a hot tub before this one I have used quite a few & knew what I liked/wanted & didn’t so that was helpful in narrowing my search.

Reactions: Newdude and Gebo
I did not think I would like a sound system, but I do. I have speakers in my yard already , so I did not think I need one. However it was a free promo when I bough my tub. Same price regardless of if I got it or not, and I could not swap it for anything. It turns out I can keep the music much lower since the speakers are basically under the shell behind my head. It actually works nicely.

I bought my Bullfrog when it was more expensive than most spas, but not THAT much more. I paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $16,000 for my A6

I already knew I did not want a lounger when I was shopping for a hot tub. I had been in plenty of tubs with loungers and I did not like they (the jets float me right out of them).

I liked the Bullfrogs for their reputation, the comparatively small amount of plumbing, and the ability to customize them with the jetpacks.

I feel that mine was worth the extra price I paid, but I don't think I would pay 40K for it. I had heard that they (along with most other spas) have gone up in price, but I did not know it was that much. I think mine went up $500 between the time I paid for it and the time it was delivered.

The water feature (waterfall) was included on most of the tubs I looked at. I would like it much better if I could turn it on without turning on any jets. I mean I *could* manually turn off all of the jets on pump 1 and then just the waterfall would run. But it would be nice if there was just a small pump for the waterfall. I have other water features in my yard, and sometimes it is nice to just sit there with the jets off and hear the sound of water. In the summer the fountains etc I have in the yard serve that purpose, but in the winter I have them all shut down.

Reactions: Gebo and Mdragger88

An eight person hot tub is more like a small pool and that is why it cost $40K... :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Depends on what they call an 8 person tub.

My tub (Bullfrog A6) is technically a 8 seat tub. For 8 REALLY friendly people apparently.

I have 4 corner seats (with jetpacks) in my 7'4" x 6'8" tub. I also have 4 "seats" in-between the corners. Using that term "seats" very loosely. Yeah, you can sit on them, but there are limited jets, no headrests, and you are mostly out of the water.

If I put 8 people in my tub, they are all touching shoulder to shoulder, and have their legs all twisted together. It would also cause water to overflow.

This is what I have and they call it an 8 seat tub.

1702917656912.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah- mine is considered a 5 person tub. It’s only 250gal.
Edited to add a pic - 5 kids maybe but more like 2-3 adults max. They like to overstate the capacity for sure.
IMG_8570.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
Yes, the top one has a jet and the waterfall. The bottom one is the step in and cool off seat. Nobody has sat in either as of yet.

Bullfrog is even worse. There is a "seat" in front of the filter intake. No jets, just water flowing in.

My wife uses the "cool off" seat every so often.

Regarding sound systems - this is something that doesn't have to be in your tub. I have a whole home audio system and I have put four speakers around the tub, pointing inwards. I have other zones outside around the pool, on the deck, etc. The sound can be for music, or for the TV that is viewable from the tub.

Reactions: Mdragger88
On mine the speaker would be behind the headrests and out from under the cover. So they are not in the hot humid air space all the time.

I just have a small bluetooth speaker "mini h20" That I sit on the waterfall. Actually works pretty good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.