Recommendations for new filter?

DThompson55

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2016
Manchester, CT
We had a Sta-Rite III DE filter but 20 years of weather, wear and tear, finally took it out. Any recommendations on how to choose, what to watch out for, maybe which brands, where to shop? Or should I just go over to Leslie and see what they have?

I believe that is a similar filter to what I have. Is it the type of DE where you can take the cartridge out and hose it off (vs. having to backwash)?

What is wrong with your old filter? Did something happen to the housing, or is it just the filter media that wore out?

If you want that same type of DE filter with the removable cartridge that is easy to hose off, I think the Sta-Rite is the only option. If you're open to changing, I would get a large cartridge filter. If you were to get a 300-400 sq. ft. cartridge filter you may only have to clean it once or twice per season. I have been thinking about replacing my Sta-Rite DE filter with a Hayward Swimclear C4030 (about $800 online).

Hi Faby - Yes, that is exactly the filter I have, kind of a DE Cartridge. The problem is that the housing went out of round somehow, and it's nearly impossible to fit it back together without a huge effort for two people. So after two years of complaining about it we decided to do something instead. There was really nothing wrong with the Sta-Rite, other than the last couple years. And it has lasted at least 20 years. So maybe I'll go with that again. First I'll read the Pool School - Filter Comparison Article.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.