Recommendations for landscape plantings near pool

shocka

Gold Supporter
Mar 12, 2018
Mesa, AZ
Hello -- We are located in the Phoenix area. Hoping to get some recommendations for some plant types that would do well given the following:

I have 3'6" clear space between the back of my coping and the existing block wall fence.
The fence is overall appx 6' tall consisting of CMU and about 18" of wrought iron vision panel along the top.
Two goals: privacy and aesthetics. If it was just for the aesthetics element, I would probably go with a few pots to keep the roots contained.
Looking for a hedge type plant that will grow in full sun (year round).
Minimal mess/droppings (I don't want a bunch of stuff getting in the pool)
Appreciate the help/experience.

I'll also reach out to a nursery and post back what they let me know as options.

Thanks.

A hedge will be tough, though there are some climbing vine plants. Take a look through the list I linked. They are based on being low 'trash'. Especially stay away from any bougainvillea or other flowering plants that shed a lot.

Thank you. That is a good list.
In doing a bit of research, I found my question in a blog post from another AZ pool owner.
The response from the Maricopa County extension office offers some good information as well.

Using Ficus as a Hedge/Screen Around a Pool in Phoenix

Ficus Nitida is not frost tolerant. I lost 2 large trees several years back do to frost. Several neighbors trees took a few years to fully recover from the frost damage. It will do better in a protected area.

As Marty said - stay away from bougainvillea... thorns and messy flowers (brackets?). There are several climbing vines that may do the job you need. Go to one of the local nurseries and ask them... A&P, TreeLand (Country Club south of Guadalupe), Summer Winds and maybe even Moon Valley.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.