Recommendations for heavy duty, wide umbrella base?

Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
We recently bought a new umbrella base for our patio umbrellas (we have 2 umbrellas, but only had one base). The problem is three fold which keeps causing the umbrella and stand to topple over in the slightest wind:

1. It isn't heavy enough (maybe 20-25 lbs)
2. The base isn't wide enough (only 17.5")
3. The pole stem is held with a bolt in the bottom which loosens because of the weight of the umbrella.

I've even tried blue loctite on the bolt which didn't help at all and came loose the very next day. I looked at our other umbrella base which is fantastic and gives us zero problems, and I noticed that the base stem (where the pole goes in) appears to be built/welded onto the base not requiring a bolt/nut to hold it in place. It is also wider (almost 20" as opposed to 17.5") and much heavier (probably double the weight of the other one that is giving us trouble). Does anybody have any recommendations on a bronze colored patio umbrella base that they've have good look with (not toppling over in wind and base stem not coming loose) that meets those 3 requirements?

Well, take for what it's worth, but here's what I finally did:
dbtgallery.php

I got tired of those light, cheap stands. You can see the ones I made. They are basically a pot stand tuned upside down and filled with concrete. There's a PVC pip in the middle that goes about a 1 or so up. Once that concrete dries, it's not moving. I also took the plater water catching bottom, flipped it upside down over the pipe and it serves as a tray. Of course you can paint everything as you like. But once you position it where you want it, it's not moving.

Well, take for what it's worth, but here's what I finally did:
dbtgallery.php

I got tired of those light, cheap stands. You can see the ones I made. They are basically a pot stand tuned upside down and filled with concrete. There's a PVC pip in the middle that goes about a 1 or so up. Once that concrete dries, it's not moving. I also took the plater water catching bottom, flipped it upside down over the pipe and it serves as a tray. Of course you can paint everything as you like. But once you position it where you want it, it's not moving.

Wait wait wait wait. You came up with that neat idea for your regular umbrella, but 30 bags of sand for you cantilever one? :shock: Tex you’re better then that. Now back to your workshop!!!
:mrgreen:

We love this base Pool Furniture Supply. Mini Plus 99 lb. Square Umbrella Base
(not purchased here, but from a Palm Casual Store much cheaper). It is portable and rolls easily on our tabby pool surround. We did have to remove one of the "clamps" to keep the umbrella pole from rotating in the base and it just allowed the screw to come in direct contact with the pole.

Wait wait wait wait. You came up with that neat idea for your regular umbrella, but 30 bags of sand for you cantilever one? Tex you’re better then that. Now back to your workshop!!!
Bwaaahaa. Yeah Rob. That cantilever umbrella was on its last leg. Cheap stuff that tipped or twisted every time the wind blew. That was the last straw. After making my own inverted "pot" stands with concrete inside, they don't move - period. I got umbrellas from Home Depot that are much better made and stay-put. I can pull them out when I need to (winter or bad weather) and slip them back in. Umbrella life is good again.

Great idea Texas Splash. My issue is that makes the umbrellas stationary unless Im forced to summon my Hulk side :) That being said I hate my current umbrella and stand. Even with bags of sand on the stand my umbrella just flies right out regardless of how tight the screw is. I really want one of the big cantilever umbrellas but feel I will just be wasting money...

One neighbor just got this and the base holds 200#'s of sand. I will wait and see how it works for him as the price at Sams ($399) is a very good deal for a large multi angle umbrella with light.

0007874226041_A.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great idea Texas Splash. My issue is that makes the umbrellas stationary unless Im forced to summon my Hulk side :) That being said I hate my current umbrella and stand. Even with bags of sand on the stand my umbrella just flies right out regardless of how tight the screw is. I really want one of the big cantilever umbrellas but feel I will just be wasting money...

One neighbor just got this and the base holds 200#'s of sand. I will wait and see how it works for him as the price at Sams ($399) is a very good deal for a large multi angle umbrella with light.

View attachment 80228

We got this same umbrella from Lowes for 279 bucks this spring. So far it is great.

That is a great price! I will look for one as I really like the looks and size...hope you can keep OPK's from trying to swing on it :) :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.