Recommendations for brand/line for new pump, salt system, heat pump, automation

Bean19

Jun 2, 2019
Pennsylvania
We just had our pool in-ground gunnite pool renovated with new coping, tile, and plaster. We are planning to switch to a salt system once the plaster has cured in 30 days. Our pump is ancient, so we are planning to replace that and install the salt system, a heat pump, and automation to control it all. We currently have a Hayward DE filter and Polaris 380 booster pump that we will keep. The pool is somewhere around 25,000 to 30,000 gallons. The current pump is rated at 3450 rpm (not sure if that is the same as gpm).

We’d like to get a system that will work together well with some level of automation. What brands / product lines would you recommend or choose if you were starting out to build a new, automated system that will work well together? Or is brand/line consistency not important?

We were thinking about sticking with Hayward but we understand that Jandy and Pentair are also great brands. Even within Hayward, though, there are a ton of options and different product lines, and they don’t make it easy to understand the differences. Do we want a Low Ambient temp heat pump or can we safely save $500 and get the regular one? What size? Which of the various automation products do we want—1980s computer interface, the newest Alexa-compatible, or something in-between?

Budget is a concern, but most importantly we want a system that will last a long time, be reliable, and work well together. Once we have an idea for the brand/line, we can ask more detailed questions in the different forum sections.

Thanks for your help!

We recommend that the Automation system, any VS pump, and the salt cell, all be the same brand, so that they can "talk" to one another.. Booster pumps, filters, and heaters are all universal, so the brand names of those items do not matter.

I personally like Pentair, but there are just as many members that love their Jandy and Hayward systems..

No matter what, you want a VS pump or at least a 2-speed pump, and a salt cell that is rated for at least 2 x the volume of your pool.. This is because cells are rated when running 24/7 at 100% output...

Thanks,

Jim R.

I don’t know on the heater for sure but PA (and MD where I am) can have some low ambient temps! That may mean that is has a defrost mode, like a home heat pump has.

Pool automation has not progressed to be as “smart” compatible as many would like. There are workarounds but that creates a more technical approach. My view is to get the system that offers the most of what you want within it’s ecosystem. Unless you are like few of our members and LOVE the tech/compatibility challenge.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will focus on the vs pump, salt system, and automation for now and will pick a heat pump later.

In terms of the automation, I don’t know what I really want or need. Right now I have a 1980s setup with dog ears on timers that control the pump and booster, which is a pain to adjust. It seems like some of the systems have panels you can operate, others a remote, or an app for the phone.

If anyone has suggestions for what to look for in comparing the automation options for my setup, I would love to hear them!

Thanks!

We went from well-aged single speed pump and gas heater to a Pentair VS pump and new Raypak heater. The VS pump was by far the best upgrade, nearly silent and much less expensive to run. My pool guy swears by Pentair and Raypak, but there are clearly others out there who are equally happy with other brands.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.