Recommend a Pool Pump for above ground pool on 15A circuit

ct027

Sep 3, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Hi there,

I am new to the forum and hoping the collective wisdom of the members can help me.
Thank you in advance for the help.

My current pool pump is incredibly noisy and has some other issues and I've decided to replace it. I am looking for a replacement pump for my 30,000L above ground pool. In looking at various Hayward pumps, I saw the recommended wiring is a 20A Circuit with a 12 gauge wire run to the receptacle. However, the previous owners of my house ran 14 gauge wire from a 15A breaker. I can't seem to find pumps that run on a recommended 15A breaker setup. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I am looking for something that is quiet, does the job and works with my current set up. Really not looking to redo the hose wiring if I can avoid it.

Welcome to TFP :)

I am willing to bet that the 14/2 wire they pulled is not up to code as conductors must be rated for 125% of the motor FLC. For example say you have a pump that is rated for 13.5amps. The calculation would be 13.5 x 1.25 = 16.9amps minimum circuit capacity, thus requiring 12ga wire. Also is the outlet or breaker GFCI? In addition the length of run between the breaker and outlet is a determining factor. I know not what you want to hear but it might be worth it to have an electrician come out and give things a look over as with electricity and water it is always better to be safer than sorry.

Attachments

• Electrical-WIRING-SWIMMING-POOLS.pdf
    236.3 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: ct027
US NEC states that breakers should not be loaded to more then 80% of rating. Thus a 15A breaker should not have more then 12 amps of load.

You are in Canada and have a different selection of pumps then we have in the US. You also have different electrical codes.

It would take a small pump under 1 HP to be below 12 amps at 120V.

Best thing is to rewire the circuit for 20amps. Even better at 240V.

Reactions: ct027
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.