Recent Re-Plaster and Ph rise

May 11, 2018
Sacramento CA
My pool was replastered 6 months ago. I am having to dose acid every day to keep PH within acceptable ranges. Ive been told that acid demand is high after a replaster but I am having to dose every day with acid. My ph rises about .5 in a 24 hour period. Current Test results below;

CL- 4
Ph- 7.7
TA- 60
CH-500
CYA- 30

Is it normal to still have to dose with acid every day 6 months after plastering? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Welcome to the forum.
How are you testing your pool water chemistry?

At that level TA, your pH should settle and not rise much over 7.8 to 8. At what pH do you add acid at?
The plaster can effect pH for up to a year.

Thank You for your response!
I am testing using the TF-100 test kit. For the ph, i use the test kit and double check with a ph probe.

I typically add acid somewhere between 7.8 and 8.

I am contemplating not adding acid tomorrow and seeing where the ph settles at, but i am worried about being outside of the lsi range, but hopefully being out of range for a day or two won't cause any problems.

If it ends up settling around 8.1 for the time being, I guess I will have to manipulate some of my other levels to stay within LSI range .(probably lower calcium and increase cya).

Do you see any problems with what I'm thinking?

Thanks Again!

Last edited:
following... I'm in nearly the same situation, with a 60-day old new plaster job, and numbers very close to the OPs. I'll admit I don't test as frequently (maybe 2x/week) but my pH continues to sneak up from the 7.6 target to over 8.0 (with 3-4 drops of acid demand needed in the test to bring it back down.) I've dumped what is to me an inconceivable amount of acid in it since the new build (going on 10 gallons) and I'd hoped it would stop creeping by now!

My surface is an "Ansylbrite" quartz (the Anthony/Sylvan branding) and looks great - but I certainly don't recall my normal plaster every requiring this much maintenance acid for so long.

CL - 1.0
Ph - 7.6-8.0+
TA - 90
CH - 400 (has crept up here from <200 on initial fill.)
CYA - 0 (I never seem to get CYA readings on the Taylor test - but don't add any other than what's in the Trichlor tabs)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.