Anaheim/CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Saline Generating Systems Breeze 540
Is it pretty typical to have to rebuild the tops of the steps after a demo before replastering an inground pool? This is the 2nd time I've used this builder at 2 different homes, and both times after the demo, the builder comes back and says he needs to charge me extra to rebuild the tops of the steps since they are mostly just sand and not concrete on top. I feel like I'm getting swindled. This seems like something that should be included in the price already.

Well you got your monies worth on a full chipout. I think his crew went too hard with a jackhammer instead of chipping out around the steps with hand tools.

@bdavis466 think a plaster crew can smooth this out as is?

Original gunite crew built up the steps with rebound instead of freshly blown gunite. Now I understand.

@beegee226 your current builder is doing the right repair. Blame this on the original construction crew who hid this lazy use of rebound.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just out of morbid curiosity, how can you tell from the picture that the original steps were built with rebound?
Rebound looks like sand when its exposed. Had those stairs been constructed properly they would have kept their shape and you'd see the actual chisel marks from the jackhammers, not just blown up craters.

So I gave the BP the okay to move forward, and yesterday they rebuilt the steps. I watched them "demo" the top 2-3 inches of sand from the steps by hosing them off with a standard garden nozzle. Then they just slapped some quikcrete on top and shaped. All done within an hour. Can't believe I paid $800 for that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.