Really Struggling to Keep PH Down

schoppy

Apr 28, 2020
Clermont, fl
First pool, newly built, quartz finish, it has been filled for 2 months. I have to add acid every other day. I usually aim for 7.4 and can easily get it there, but 2 days later it is back at 8. Any ideas?

Central Florida, screened in pool, but I get full sun all day. It has been raining every day as well.

Chemistry below:
FC - 6.0
PH - 7.4
TA - 90
CH - 135 (I know this is low, but pool company said don't adjust this for 90 days)
CYA - 30

I'm totally new to this pool business. I have 2 deck jets and a bubbler, but I turned those off to see if it would make a difference. It really doesn't seem to...water hovers around 89 degrees without using the heater.

I really appreciate the help!

Welcome to TFP.

Try lowering your TA to 60 and run your pH 7.6-7.8. It should get you another day or two between acid additions.

How do you chlorinate your pool?

Thanks, that's good to know that it will slow down. I use the 10.5 % liquid chlorine from my local pool store. It's $4.50 for a 2.5 gallon refill, so no too bad.

How will lowering the TA to 60 affect the curing of the plaster? The pool company gave me paperwork that said it is important to keep it as close to 100 as possible for the first year. Since pool math says 90 is the top end I've been trying to hold it there.

I was actually thinking of collecting some rain to see what PH it is. It rains every day here right now, so I was thinking that could have something to do with it. Sounds like the new surface is the most likely cause though, so I won't worry too much about it!

You have to weigh what you're learning here against the value of your warranty. If there is a problem with your finish during your warranty period, the PB might check your water chemistry to see if you've been complying with his instructions. If you haven't been, it's possible he could use that as grounds to void your warranty. On the other hand, if his instructions are not the best for the longevity of your finish, then you might suffer those consequences much later, when the warranty has expired. And I'm not suggesting his instructions are bad for your pool. You'd like to think the PB knows what is best, but they don't always. And around and around we go. I was just cautioning you to keep your warranty in mind as you decide for yourself what is best for your pool.

You might read up on CSI. That is an index that considers several of your chemical levels and helps determine if your water is OK for your finish. Yours is a bit low, but not out of range. But that is based on the numbers you posted, and you're missing a few factors that affect CSI (salt and water temp), so I interpolated a bit. Plus, we don't know what you're using to get those numbers, so it's a bit iffy for us to advise about your chemistry without first knowing how good those numbers are. If this were my pool, I would first get a high quality test kit (one of the two we recommend), and then I would use that to be sure to keep the water within the PB's spec, but also manipulate the pH to keep the CSI in check. That would be one way to comply with both the PB and what we teach here.

If you're going to continue to seek advice here about your pool, you could help us help you by filling in your signature and buying a good test kit. The more we know about your pool and equipment, and the better the numbers you provide, the better we can advise.

Congrats on the new pool. And welcome to TFP. We're glad you found us.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.