"Real Time" Wifi Pool Monitoring

Nate4429

Mar 8, 2019
Marysville, Wa
Is there a product that allows you to look at an app on your phone and get the numbers you need to regulate you pool in real time? Something that may be plugs in-line with your pump and filter? Just curious if this is even a thing. Thanks! :)

I guess it depends on what mean to regulate???

I have an EasyTouch automation system and something called ScreenLogic.. I can tell what my pool is doing from anywhere in the world with a phone or Wi-Fi connection.

I can turn things on and off and tell what speed my pump is running or change the speed, I can see what the output of my Salt system is and change it if I want.

What it does not do, is tell be what my chemical levels are.. We have found that those system are just not too reliable in the long run.

Tell us more about what you want to do.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Real time: no. There simply are not electronic sensors that can measure many of the variables we measure that can continuously sample the water. There are electronic pH measuring devices which work well but need calibrated, and ORP sensors which can be used to measure sanitizer levels but do not work well in the presence of CYA which makes them very unhelpful in outdoor pools.

Most of the devices you might find that claim to offer some sort of electronic wifi testing will use those two sensors along with a thermometer (because a 3rd graph line makes it look more good!) and leaves it up to you to test everything else. There is one I have seen that is being developed that tests more variables, but it uses test strips and a photometer. We don't trust test strips so it is pretty much an automatic pass, but it has not hit the general public anyway as far as I know, so there's no useful data on testing it.

The consumer market is a long way away from that sort of tech. Just regular electronic meters that are as reliable as a $70 Taylor kit cost thousands of dollars, several dollars per test, require regular calibration and are not automated. Most professionals don't even use those due to the cost (and most professionals couldn't give a darn if their readings are wrong as long as the water looks good enough to get paid, but I digress).

However, as I said in some pHin threads, if someone develops one that stands up to scrutiny and is cost competitive I will happily buy a dozen. I think I give off the impression that I don't want it to exist, but that is certainly not true. I just know the significant limitations of current offerings and see past the marketing and big-dreaming college graduates that think they have invented the Next Big Thing ™ that they will sell for a billion dollars.

Last edited:
Thanks Jim and Don that's what I was wondering if there was a way to see pH levels and other chemicals in real time. Which looks like not yet...Seems like the tech would be there by now but not a big deal I was just asking if it was available. Thanks for the input! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.