Real fireplace or gas for covered patio? Best heat source

Hi Folks,

I am thinking of add on a covered patio similar to this design but a bit longer, and making the end a solid wall to help with wind/privacy.

I love the look for a real wood fireplace but since I am in the frozen tundra of Canada the amount of heat it will produce in the early spring/fall time while we still like to sit outside is key.

assuming a similar size design of fireplaces either wood or a gas insert style, which do you think would put off the most heat? Part of me thinks the gas option as its instant heat plus most inserts have a fan in them to push heat out. Any thoughts on either of those options?

The real wood would definitely look nicer.

HDBlogSquad-Covered-Patio.jpg

If it is enclosed I think gas heat would do but if it is all open I am not sure how much output you can get from gas.. Most of the gas ones I have seen are for looks and not really heat.... If you can find one that outputs major heat I would go with gas :)

I just looked at this one and it outputs 55,000 BTU, I guess the logs heat up and put out heat also... You cant beat the instant light and no smoke of gas heat, it is just a better solution... and when you shut it off, its off... Courtyard Gas Fireplace

You will get WAY more output from a wood stove but it takes time to start it, get it heating and then once you get a roaring fire its time to go inside and that roaring fire will burn another 2 to 6 hours.... And if it was me I would eat smoke the whole time it was burning...

Reactions: supercanadian
Reactions: supercanadian
so if you go wood the size of the firebox means everything. larger firebox hotter fire.

my covered porch one is 3x3x3 it outputs mhhh heat. so when we did my pool house my dad's buddy and myself went for the game of thrones kinda heat thrower. 4.5'x4.5'x4'. it is a flame thrower. i have to move the table when we have it going and i can literally feel the heat outside the pool house. and that is with a little fire during in it. i haven't even built a large fire in it. its the firebrick heating up that allows you to throw the heat.
as long as you are burins dry aged wood along with a proper wood like an oak, cherry, maple, walnut ect and not a soft wood like birch or pine you are good.
IMG_0042.JPGIMG_0937.JPG

• Love
Reactions: Newdude
I really think it comes down to preference. You want clean and easy. Gas.
If you want a fresh smelling fire. Wood.

Both give same heat if sized and built right. My gas insert in my living room is so large it can heat my entire downstairs of my home which is 2000 sq plus. I oversized it to the point it’s too warm to even use on our first floor so it goes only for looks at this point.

I’m in the middle of a similar process, but my primary objective is rain protection over the patio and kitchen areas. I went over to a friend’s house to see his setup and he has a gas fireplace. It doesn’t have a fan and puts out plenty of heat. When his drop down screens are deployed, the entire patio area stays nice and warm, even when weather is cold and windy. See pic below and you can see the tracks for the screens. Upside is no chimney required. I don’t know the brand or the BTU rating of the fireplace.

1616424582266.jpeg

We have a Warming trends crossfire burner and it puts out a ton of heat. It actually has to be turned down because of how hot it gets and how big the flame is. Ours is out in the open so I’m sure if it was under cover the heat it puts out would be nice. I can’t recommend it enough. We bought it through Montana Fire Pits, and the owner Jonathon was great to work with for figure out what to get for our situation.

our burner is 250k btu, but we don’t have the supply for that so it’s only running at about half strength.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you do a gas insert make sure it has a built in blower unit. My fireplace inside has one and it keeps the den nice and toasty. The outdoor insert does not have one and we have to close the damper to force heat out. Wish I could install a blower but this unit will not accommodate one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.