Apr 15, 2014
Livermore, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi TFPers,
I use a TF-100, and even though I know you should replace reagents every two years, I replace them when they're empty. This brings me to the CH R-0012. The 2 oz bottle is much more $/oz vs the 16 oz bottle. Does this reagent expire or become much less affective over time?

One time I asked the same question of the reagent CYA R–0013, but was informed than that it holds its efficacy; hence, I bought the 16 ounce bottle.

I'd appreciate any help here. Thanks in advance.

B

It's mostly EDTA with a mix of other chelating agents in it. It has a relatively long shelf life if it is stored properly. It probably will last longer than the stated shelf from the manufacturer simply because they must report a shelf life they are willing to warranty against and 18 months is probably a decent compromise. The indicator dye (R-0011L) is more problematic as that does breakdown over time and will be less effective with age. I'd replace the indicator dye before any other reagent if I suspected a problem with them.

Taylor does sell a 200ppm calcium hardness standard (R-7063) for about $20. You could purchase that to test your reagents with.

My question is also in regard to the expiration on the reagents. I have the TF-100 as well as the Saltwater test kits. I think I purchased them about three years ago but still have quite a bit of most of them. The R-870 powder has gotten chunky and is leaving black marks on the test tube. What should I replace?

The R-0870 will get "chunky" and leave black marks over time if exposed to moisture. This is the reason why we have two cylinders in the TF-100...one for CL testing only as the powder will stain the cylinders. Customers have told me that muriatic acid will clean the cylinder. Please use precautions when dealing with muraitic acid. The typical shelf life for the R-0870 powder is 3 years if it remains dry, and I have personally found mine works even though it has turned black and chunky.
Taylor started putting expiration dates on their reagents over 18 months ago, so I would recommend repalcing any Taylor reagent that does not have an expiration date on the bottle.
Here is Taylor Technologies statement on shelf life: https://www.taylortechnologies.com/ChemistryTopicsCM.ASP?ContentID=26. All reagents purchased at TFTestkits are from Taylor Technologies. TFTestkits will replace any reagent, if the remaining portion is sent back, within 18 months of purchase if there is an indication the reagent has expired. Please let me know if I can help in any other way. Rebecca 919-528-1454

Ok, I'm getting ready to order a complete replacement kit for all of my reagents, so I can make sure I'm using fresh ones. What about the reagents for the saltwater test kit? Do I need new ones for it? They were purchased same time as the ones for the other kit, about 3 years ago. Thanks for your help!

Yes. I would not use ANY 3 year old reagents. You need to really have confidence in the results and it's just not that much more money to keep your pool pristine and your management of your pool as easy as possible

Tx for the responses. I came back to thread now. Not sure why I haven't gotten any notification of new msgs when I have it set to instant notification.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.