Ready to (finally) take control of my pool. PLEASE HELP!

You most likely need to SLAM. Lower your pH to 7.2
Raise your FC to SLAM level. Maintain by testing and adding liquid chlorine 3 to 4 times per day.

Muriatic acid is cheaper and recommended by TFP.
Dry acid is sodium bisulfate. The sulfate will build up in your water and corrode metals and destroy gunite/plaster.

Reactions: stmartinez
OMG OMG OMG!! I'm blown away by the list of chemicals that pool store wants you to buy/use! Who can afford that?!

I spend between $100-$150 per YEAR on pool stuff. That includes test kit refills and chemicals. And I keep my pool open year round.

You're gonna kick yourself when you get up on the TFP method and see how simple and common sense it is. And then get mad at that pool store for robbing you blind.

Looking forward to the "Revelation"... keep us posted :). Pics welcome!

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: stmartinez
OMG OMG OMG!! I'm blown away by the list of chemicals that pool store wants you to buy/use! Who can afford that?!

I spend between $100-$150 per YEAR on pool stuff. That includes test kit refills and chemicals. And I keep my pool open year round.

You're gonna kick yourself when you get up on the TFP method and see how simple and common sense it is. And then get mad at that pool store for robbing you blind.

Looking forward to the "Revelation"... keep us posted :). Pics welcome!

Maddie :flower:

Thanks, @YippeeSkippy, for the welcome. I think I'm about to embark on a SLAM, which should be interesting, but normally by now I've dropped about $300 at the pool store and I leave there knowing that I'm certain to be back. Right now I'm in $92 for a test kit that'll last two years and $7 worth of bleach. I love the app and all the support I've gotten so far. I can't wait for the "A Ha" moment.

The acid is in, the pH has been lowered, and the first four gallons of bleach just went in. Moving forward, how do I test for chlorine at levels well above what my gauge will read? Or will it seriously drop that fast? I can't wait to see it. Secondarily, it just started thunderstorming in St. Louis.

Yesterday you posted test results. Since you stated last week you were getting a proper test kit, were not those tests from your own proper test kit?

Yesterday you posted test results. Since you stated last week you were getting a proper test kit, were not those tests from your own proper test kit?

Yes, absolutely they were. Headed out for another test now. When I tested after adding the first four gallons of bleach though the chlorine level was sky high. Way higher than I could read. Did I not to the full test necessary to gain that knowledge. I just did the five drops of yellow in the beaker...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.