Ready for the hybrid pool ride of my life…

STLhybrid

May 24, 2023
St. Louis, Missouri
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi there! 40yo with the audacity to attempt the solo rehab of all rehabs using YouTube and TFP. If you’ve got words of encouragement- join me! If you’re not the encouraging type- please don’t make me cry. Lol here’s the scoop…

Purchased late 2021. The house house a gorgeous picture window that overlooks the once swanky 70s party pool. Here are the stats:

-18x36 rectangle
-36k gallons (according to inspector)
-gunite bottom
-fiberglass panel sides
-concrete deck integrated plastic bullnose coping
-pentair tagelus sand filter TA-60D-2 (2019)
-pentair challenger pump (2014)
-centurion challenger 1.5 hp motor
-diving board
-slide

Here are some pics from the prior owners inspection:
IMG_5166.jpeg
Long time neighbors said the owners who installed it took glorious care of the house/pool. Following owners, not so much.

The coping is cracked and crumbling (both concrete & plastic). The deck is cracked/settled in a few spots. The mastic is wide at some spots and non existent in others. The fiberglass wall is pulling from the coping in one spot. Rope anchor is pulling out and we’ve got some wonky and missing tile. Yay for hybrid pools!

Some pics of the carnage:
IMG_5059.jpegIMG_5063.jpegIMG_5068.jpegScreen Shot 2023-05-24 at 3.08.09 PM.png

Masterpiece right?!

I got started calling contractors in November of 2021 (before I owned the house). It’s now almost June of 2023 and I’ve called 60+ contractors, gotten less than a dozen folks on property, and only 2 paper estimates both in upward of $85k. I’ve watched more YouTube’s and googled more than a teenager who can’t properly spell anatomy.

I’m also convinced that there is a pub filled with concrete & pool contractors just crashing their giant beer mugs together and saying “Can you believe? So glad we dodged that bullet!” Lol

Being in and around water is scientifically proven to have physiological benefits and has massive healing benefits for people who have experienced trauma. During the pandemic I began working toward a non profit that provided access to water recreation for trauma survivors. Unfortunately, I had to put it aside because work picked back up. When I bought this house I realized I now OWNED a space that I could offer to people to help them heal. We opened the pool in March of 2022 and hobbled along for the summer. Each swimmer was given the necessary talk, “watch the edges for crumbles, don’t touch the cracked stuff, etc etc.” We jokingly began calling the pool “Danger Pool.” There were many smiles, much laughing, and so many beautiful moments.
Screen Shot 2023-05-24 at 3.41.43 PM.png
Despite the algae wars (which improved with new sand) and some water loss here & there we got on okay thinking some contractor would finally agree to help without having to sell kidneys and foot pix. Is shining armor discontinued or something because there’s no knight in sight! It's such an incredibly beautiful space that could benefit SO MANY PEOPLE. I realize it's up to me now.

Here's where I'm at with things. It doesn't appear that the concrete has settled much in 3 years so perhaps it it where it will be and things just need filled, leveled and sealed. Coping replacement, leak detection, etc. Maybe we can get this thing buttoned up for a few more seasons use while they get that shining armor factory back into production (or contractor prices level out OR I save up $85k by some miracle).

So my quest begins. Managed to get the cover off solo, been getting it cleaned out, begun removing the crumbled quikrete that someone used for mastic at one point and I've ordered a borescope to "discover the caverns."

Big meal. Small bites. Every turn reveals another delicious mystery and I’ve got my fork friggin ready to eat it up. Wish me BIG LUCK!

Yes! Another hybrid owner. Welcome! The only person I know of that repairs hybrid pools is in your area. Props to you for wanting to do as much work yourself as possible, but if you’re like me and dealing with things like panel blisters you may want to have a pro look at it. Best of luck on your journey.

Yes! Another hybrid owner. Welcome! The only person I know of that repairs hybrid pools is in your area. Props to you for wanting to do as much work yourself as possible, but if you’re like me and dealing with things like panel blisters you may want to have a pro look at it. Best of luck on your journey.

Yay! It's awesome to meet more people in the #hybridpoolfam. No blisters so far as I know thank goodness. I've definitely tried my hardest to get someone to work on it. No dice so far. Didn't know pool guys could run so fast! lol We'll see where I get! :)

OH. and Joe is one of the two bids I have. Wish I could hire them... but I dont have 85k. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support