Re-plastering --- What questions should I ask?

jesse-99

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
May 2, 2021
Illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Can anyone offer up a bunch of questions that I should be asking pool vendors that are quoting a full re-plastering of my in ground gunite/plaster pool? The pool is 12 years old, original plastic, and it's getting really rough. I'm started to get quotes but I read some horror stories on here about companies that did re-plastering and owners not being very happy afterwards with the results, the surfacing, visual defects, and warranty issues, etc. Looking for questions I should be asking the vendors as I receive quotes and BEFORE any work starts...? (to save me from headaches down the road and not having a fingerpointing war down the road, etc.)

Thanks Much!

The best way to ensure a good re-plaster job is to completely remove (chip out) all the existing plaster. Some companies will say it only requires to chip out bad spots (soft) or around the lights and returns, etc. A full chip out costs more but ensures you are putting new plaster against concrete and not over potentially bad plaster that may fail later.

Ask if they are approved applicator for whichever plaster you select. Then call the mfg. and verify that they are still active.

Request their start up procedure after the plaster is installed. Does it match to the mfg. recommendation

Ask if they will handle the start up chemicals for the first week or first 30 days.

I see you have an IFCS, ask how they will handle that with chip out (do not want that damaged). Also, best to repair any of those fittings if needed.

Determine if you want to clean and/or seal your coping or waterline tile prior to new plaster application. Not needed but best to understand how many things you want done and in which order it will be done.

Suggest you clean your filter prior to them starting so you have a clean filter when you restart after new plaster.

Good Luck.

Reactions: jesse-99
Thanks guys, this was really appreciated. Good info above.
Is a FULL chip out **required**? I would rather do one, but, not all vendors will do it and finding ANY vendor right now that can actually fit in a re-plastering job within a reasonable amount of time is difficult. Some places are telling me 2023 at this point and I can't hold off that long unfortunately...

Is a FULL chip out **required**?

No.

Without a full chipout your pool and plaster need to be in good condition with no significant cracks and good adhesion. If there are nay signs of nodules or other signs of delamination then a chip out should be done.

A bonding coat needs to put on the existing plaster and the surface properly prepared for the second layer of plaster.

If all properly done a second layer of plaster can be put on a pool and last another 10 - 20 years.

Chipouts are not without their own problems. They have to be done without damaging the gunite shell. Some chipouts have used tools that have went too deep and took out the gunite.

Chipouts are labor intensive which is why contractors would rather not do them. Some contractors know they don;t have the workers who can do them properly. It is good when a contractor knows their limitations and always a risk when you push them past it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.