RE-PLASTER AND LEAKS ON DAY ONE AROUND JET PLASTER

JeanneEisen

Bronze Supporter
Sep 25, 2022
Florida
I spoke out during the process and they knew we had several major leaks in the spa which was fixed and patched with a non-matching plaster. We final decided to do the whole pool. The leaks lead to a bit of sunken ground around the spa so we take this leak on day one seriously. the plaster looks too thick and covers the edges of the cover plates. I can't see any solution other than tearing out and redoing the plaster again. last 2 pictures are before redo

Attachments

• IMG_4476.jpeg
    IMG_4476.jpeg
    426.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_4473.jpeg
    IMG_4473.jpeg
    306.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4472.jpeg
    IMG_4472.jpeg
    506.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_8716.jpeg
    IMG_8716.jpeg
    406.8 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC02051.jpeg
    DSC02051.jpeg
    597.9 KB · Views: 61
Did you get a full chipout of your old plaster?

Putting a second layer of plaster on the old plaster adds to the overall thickness. You can’t extend the pipes so they feather the new plaster back around the return trim rings.

Do you know where the leaks are?

Last edited:
they did not do a full chip out throughout the entire pool though they did most of the spa - just not enough. i asked if they could extend the pipes or use elbows or something like that and they said no. I place at lot of blame of the guy doing the tear out but more on the sloppy plaster job - $32k - I'm sick. Tonight we tried our pool light and there is a weird choppy florescent light at the edge of the water and our rock wall - could this be chemicals? The waters edge and the rock never had this - it was a smooth transition - I'm baffled

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 7.37.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 7.37.53 PM.png
    114.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 7.38.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 7.38.14 PM.png
    234.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 7.38.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 7.38.28 PM.png
    302.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 7.38.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 7.38.50 PM.png
    449.7 KB · Views: 28
they did find the leaks - around 2 of the lowest jets in the spa - I am concerned that this will be a future problem - we had leaks in the spa years ago and they were patched and re-plastered (not even close in color) which is why we re-did it all - the spa leaks caused our spa area to sink and had to have a company come out to raise the area - I just don't know what to do - what I should expect - they had the entire history of our pool and the under lying issues

I have a BIG sad for you....................me? I would insist on a FULL chip out of the spa and start all over with it. Even if the plaster is a bit different than the pool no one will notice. Even if they do they could think you meant to do it.

Reactions: JeanneEisen
I am sorry but I do not understand what your current problem is.

Much of your posts describe past problems.

as Kimkats said - a full chip out of the spa is needed - the owner is coming out this week - if they would phave explained the pipes were low and the new layer of plaster will encroach I would have demanded the seat of the spa be chipped down to granite so i didn't loose another 2-3 inches of height for my jets . If only I new then what Ie know now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.