Raypak vs Pentair Heaters for Area with lots of leaves

adamh007

Jun 16, 2023
Central NJ
The previous owners of my house didn't open their pool for 10+ years so I've been working to bring it back to life. Following the advice of this forum, I got my pool looking beautiful. Unfortunately, the heat exchanger on my old Hayward H400 millivolt heater went and it started leaking. I can't run my pump since I don't have a bypass and trying to assess my options for a new heater.

Most of the recommendations on TFP seem to support Raypak heaters. I have a 33k gallon 20x40 pool vinyl pool and was looking at the 300-400k BTU heaters. One pool person said that I have lots of leaves and that the Raypaks have slots on the top which may decompose and damage the internal. He suggested the Pentair models which have a side exhaust.

I live in NJ and have lots of leaves and flower petals throughout the spring, summer and fall.

Looking for additional perspective. Should I go with the Pentair because of the leaf concern? Thank you!

The previous owners of my house didn't open their pool for 10+ years so I've been working to bring it back to life. Following the advice of this forum, I got my pool looking beautiful. Unfortunately, the heat exchanger on my old Hayward H400 millivolt heater went and it started leaking. I can't run my pump since I don't have a bypass and trying to assess my options for a new heater.

Most of the recommendations on TFP seem to support Raypak heaters. I have a 33k gallon 20x40 pool vinyl pool and was looking at the 300-400k BTU heaters. One pool person said that I have lots of leaves and that the Raypaks have slots on the top which may decompose and damage the internal. He suggested the Pentair models which have a side exhaust.

I live in NJ and have lots of leaves and flower petals throughout the spring, summer and fall.

Looking for additional perspective. Should I go with the Pentair because of the leaf concern? Thank you!
Yes, leaves can get into the top of a RayPak heater. They don't usually end up on the heat exchanger, but can build up below the top. If you are having second thoughts, you will likely be happier with the Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm or Master Temp. They are the same heater in a different enclosure. Originally made by Sta-Rite, now owned by Pentair. For some reason the Max-E-Therms sell for hundreds less.

Reactions: adamh007
The trend is towards forced draft sealed burner heaters like the Pentair MasterTemp, Max-E-Therm, Hayward H-Series, Jandy JXI, and recently the Raypak Avia heater.

They are all basically the same design. The new Raypak Avia has some nice features with built in WiFi and their app if you don't have pool automation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.