Raypak Pool Heater > Staying in SPARK MODE < flame up = good / then shuts off flame / then flame up / = repeats every 10 seconds.

Matt Smith

May 10, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
UPDATE: SOLVED without new parts >> Turns out, that the manual natural gas valve was turned up too high causing a pressure trip in the gas valve to auto-shut. By turning back the valve on my gas line going into the unit I was able to keep the burn going on without reverting back to spark mode.

1. It lights up fine - burners lit flame is 4" high, no problem... Then stays lit for 3 seconds before shutting off completely - likely main burners not allowed to engage.
2. Then immediately the spark comes on and it refires to repeat step 1 above.
3. 'SPARK' mode displayed

.. Here's what the website says:

My pool heater's display is stuck at SPK. What does that mean?

SPK means that the heaters safeties are all closed. You have to change the set point above the water temperature in the pool or spa so the heater will light the pilot and prove that it is lit. Once the pilot has "proved" then the P.C.B. will power out to the main gas valve and fire the heater, you give it a call for heat. If the display is stuck at SPK and not firing the heater it is because the P.C. board's rectifier is not receiving the D.C. mille amp signal from the pilot or there is a bad connection from ground to the board. Change the pilot and make sure that the burner ground is landed correctly. If the heater still does not stop sparking and sending 24 vac power to the MV terminal at the gas valve, then you will need to change the P.C. board because the rectifier has gone bad. Parts can be purchased from Superior Pools nationwide. Pilot part number 002003F P.C. board part number 013464F.

manual: Raypak - Pool/Spa Heaters, 206A-406A

Has anyone had same/similar and would care to suggest a fix? I would be very appreciative!

Thx!!

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP and happy you solved your problem.

Not sure I'm understanding you resolve. Are you saying the gas valve on the gas line before the heater was too "high" meaning open and that you partially closed it off to reduce the gas pressure (psi). I think that would be the job of a gas regulator to make it right.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.