Raypak M266A Main Ign Failure

RaypakM266A

Jun 25, 2022
Michigan
I have a Raypak P-M266A pool heater, about 5 years old. First I got Rollout SW Open error. Replaced the Rollout switch. Next I got the Ignition Failure/ no pilot sensed. I replaced the Pilot Assembly. And now when I turn on the heater, it works for a few minutes, and then the burner goes out, the pilot stays on and keep trying to light up the burner with the LCD screen saying Spark. After a while I get the Main Ign Failure. I removed the 1/8” gas tube, but did not find any obstruction. The ground wire seems to be fine, though I still cleaned contacts on both sides with sandpaper. Just in case, I temporarily jumped the pressure switch with no effect. The next logical part to replace would be the gas valve but that is $300 part that I would rather not replace if that is not the cause of my issue. I would appreciate and advice on next steps.

When looking for a sooted heat exchanger, you have to do more work to really see it. You can pull the burner tray and stick your head up inside the unit and use a flash light. Looking down from the top may not necessarily show you much unless you remove the heat deflectors.

The pilot should not stay lit when the burners go out. It should go back thru the lighting sequence like normal.

Sounds like a bad board.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am not sure if the 2nd picture uploaded the first time, showing up close the fried frog that damaged the board. But here is another update - the heater ran fine for about 5 hours. And then the circuit breaker got tripped. The main motor is now tripping the circuit breaker, looks like the motor crapped out. Is that a pure coincidence? Or these 2 are somehow related? I am going under assumption that the motor crapping out is a coincidence and waiting for a new motor to arrive in 2 days.

Attachments

• 64458D48-F219-4CA2-982F-2805E226EA4F.jpeg
    64458D48-F219-4CA2-982F-2805E226EA4F.jpeg
    399.6 KB · Views: 3
I am not sure if the 2nd picture uploaded the first time, showing up close the fried frog that damaged the board. But here is another update - the heater ran fine for about 5 hours. And then the circuit breaker got tripped. The main motor is now tripping the circuit breaker, looks like the motor crapped out. Is that a pure coincidence? Or these 2 are somehow related? I am going under assumption that the motor crapping out is a coincidence and waiting for a new motor to arrive in 2 days.
Yup I see the frogs here in Florida on many of the Raypak/Rheem boards. Raypak did come out with a high density foam panel that you can sandwich between the board and the bezel to keep these frogs out. Alternatively you can use some good duct tape and cover over all the holes inside the unit where the board is. It's not as good as the foam board but it helps.

Your pump issue wouldn't have anything to do with this issue. Just a coincidence.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.