RayPak Heater Model P-R335B-EN Shuts off before reaching set temperature

Sep 19, 2018
Grayson, GA
My RayPak Heater model P-R335B-EN shuts off before reaching the desired temperature of 104F. It usually stops working around 95-97 degrees, leaving me with a hot tub that's not as hot as I want it.

When I first start the heater, it displays the SPK code for about 20 seconds and I hear a periodic buzzing noise (the ignition?) before the heater finally comes on. Here is a video of it starting:

It will then turn on, the top of the heater is clearly very hot, and it will steadily climb to the high 90's before shutting off. I turned the heater off and pressed the UP and DOWN buttons simultaneously for about 6 seconds (to get error codes) and I see HL1, meaning the high-limit has exceeded 135F. The recommended diagnostic steps are to:

1. Possible excessive water temperature in the tube bundle. Once heater cools, high limits resets automatically.
2. Check for blockage in tubes.
3. Check for low water flow.
4. Check Unitherm governor- replace if necessary
5. check bypass assembly- replace spring or bypass if necessary

Problem is, I don't know how to do any of that. What should I do? I don't want to call a repair expert. I want to exhaust all options myself first. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.