Raypak heater issue with pentair easy touch 8/ScreenLogic

Msaeed2010

Dec 31, 2020
Dallas
Hello, we just had a new pool built, our heater works manually. When I try to operate it using my screen logic or Easy touch 8 panel, it does not communicate. The heater displays remote connection error . Tried calling pentair , but they keep saying the heater isn't their product. The heater is working fine, there's a "communication error" between the two.

Any help

Ms,

As far as I know the Raypak heater has no RS-485 port, so it can't "Communicate" with the ET.. In general, the automation controls the heater via a simple low voltage relay that either tells the heater to heat, or not..

Tell us specifically which Raypak heater you have.. Also tell us how the heater is connected to your EasyTouch.. I suspect it is connected the gas heater connector on the main ET board.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ms,

As far as I know the Raypak heater has no RS-485 port, so it can't "Communicate" with the ET.. In general, the automation controls the heater via a simple low voltage relay that either tells the heater to heat, or not..

Tell us specifically which Raypak heater you have.. Also tell us how the heater is connected to your EasyTouch.. I suspect it is connected the gas heater connector on the main ET board.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I have this heater , and I've been told it's connected to the ET panel

I have this heater , and I've been told it's connected to the ET panel

Look on pages 30 and 31 in https://globalimageserver.com/FetchDocument.aspx?ID=c404f1c5-ac50-4209-9457-56246d010b20

It lists three different ways the Raypak can be connected for remote control - 2 wire, 3 wire, and time clock/fireman's switch. The only connection that will work with your EasyTouch is the fireman's switch. If the installer used either other connection then that it was in error.

If you are not comfortable opening up the ET panel and the heater and checking the wire connections then call back your installer to find out how the heater was connected to the ET.

Reactions: Msaeed2010
Ms,

Since this is a new pool, you need the pool builder to come back and show you how to use it.. I doubt you have an actual problem. Either your pool builder connected it wrong or more likely they failed to show you how to properly use it.

As suspected, the heater you have does not have the ability to "talk" with your automation. It is not a big deal.. My guess is that 90% of all heater do not actually communicate with the automation system.. The heater gets configured so that it will heater water to the max temperature.. But.. it will not do anything until a low voltage relay inside the automation closes.. This tells the heater that it should start heating the water. Once the automation sense that the water is at the set point temperature that you entered into the automation, it will open the relay and the heater will stop heating the water until the water temperature drops below the set point.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Look on pages 30 and 31 in https://globalimageserver.com/FetchDocument.aspx?ID=c404f1c5-ac50-4209-9457-56246d010b20

It lists three different ways the Raypak can be connected for remote control - 2 wire, 3 wire, and time clock/fireman's switch. The only connection that will work with your EasyTouch is the fireman's switch. If the installer used either other connection then that it was in error.

If you are not comfortable opening up the ET panel and the heater and checking the wire connections then call back your installer to find out how the heater was connected to the ET.

so, the fireman switch configuration can be done with an easy touch 8 panel with use of a screen logic ? It said something about damaging the circuit on the heater ?

so, the fireman switch configuration can be done with an easy touch 8 panel with use of a screen logic ? It said something about damaging the circuit on the heater ?

Can you please point to what exactly that something is you are asking about?

Ms,

The EasyTouch does not send any additional voltage to the heater.. The heater sends 24 VAC to the EasyTouch.. When the automation calls for heat, the EasyTouch sends this same 24 VAC back to the heater to tell it to heat. Just like flipping a light switch tells the light to come on...

Connecting your heater to the EasyTouch will not damage your heater, assuming it is wired per the directions...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Msaeed2010

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ms,

Keep in mind the firemans switch only tells the heater to make heat or not.. It will not turn the heater itself on or off or set the temperature at the heater.. Basically you have to have the heater on and the temp set to full hot... The heater's manual should explain how the heater needs to be set up.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ms,

Keep in mind the firemans switch only tells the heater to make heat or not.. It will not turn the heater itself on or off or set the temperature at the heater.. Basically you have to have the heater on and the temp set to full hot... The heater's manual should explain how the heater needs to be set up.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Having the ray Pk heater on 24/7 just power no gas , will this damage the unit ? Or is it like your microwave plugged in ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.