Raypak Heater Error "Rollout SW Open"

Jun 18, 2018
Brampton
Moved from Here . Moderator - Marty

Was wondering if someone could please help me out on this; I have a Raypak Natural Gas Heater (auto start) bought and installed in 2013 and just turned it on to heat the pool and it's reading "Rollout SW Open". I have read elsewhere on this site someone having a similar problem and have established that the rollout switch is open and I have found it. It does not have a button to restart it, I am wondering if there is anything I can do before having to call for service? I have cut the power and turned it back on; turned off the gas shut-off and turned it back on, and opened the panel and cleaned all the debris I could with a rag. Any help would be much appreciated.

Please explain why I have this problem code!
Roll out sw open!
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
If you just turned it on as you say and that error comes up, check all of the wiring and make sure nothing has been chewed on. Also check the system board to make sure no critters got on it. You can use a meter to check the switch and see if it is in fact reading open.

You're probably getting flames flashing back into the cabinet. This might be due to a sooted exchanger.

Do you have a picture of the inside of the heater?

This error recently happened to me. I have a Raypak 156 heater on my spa powered by propane. I replaced the rollout switch, but it opened again after a few uses, suggesting the switch was doing its job properly. Makeup air seemed unobstructed, and the exhaust flue was clean, so I decided to bite the bullet and dig into the heater guts. Following the Raypak YouTube instructions
Raypak® 106/156 Heat Exchanger Removal - YouTube
I took out the heat exchanger and found a fair amount of black soot blocking some of the passages. I could not see or remove this soot from the top of the heat exchanger, which would have saved the bother of pulling the thing completely out. The magnetic 5/16 socket was essential to not dropping screws into the depths of the heater.
Cleaning the soot required a brush, as expected, but also poking through many small gaps with the small plastic tube from an air can. (The tube from a WD40 can should work as well, but spraying WD40 in would be a bad idea.)

Altogether, this process took about half a day, including the trip to Home Depot for the magnetic socket. But the results are that I now have a heater that works, it may be a bit more efficient, and I probably saved about $500. If your rollout switch continues to blow, there is doubtless a good reason.

Best luck!
Gerry

I have the same problem. Pulled out the burners just to check them after the tech told me the burners needed replaced. I got curious so i pulled the burner unit out and they all look fine. Not one clogged hole. So i took a pic of the bottom of the of the heat exchanger and ehat exchanger.jpg, im no pro, but this thing doesnt look very shiny and sparkly. Any comments from the crowd?

Sooted/ blocked exchanger

OR

Spider web in the burner tube(s).

If you have spiders in the equipment area, its probably the latter. Switch is a one time use and needs to be replaced AND THE PROBLEM FIXED! Dont just replace the roll out sensor and expect it to work for long. Dont pay more than about 15 dollars for it either. Historically, the exact same Jandy part (R0012200) is a fraction of what Raypak had wanted.

this is it Screenshot_20180824-115226_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20180824-115123_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20180824-115208_Video Player.jpg not too much light. This heater is still rolling out after i cleaned the orifices and burners. the rollout happens right under the rollout switch which i assume is by design. Dont know what to do next other than pull this thing out and clean it with a hose

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180824-115204_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20180824-115204_Video Player.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 82
  • Screenshot_20180824-115211_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20180824-115211_Video Player.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot_20180824-115218_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20180824-115218_Video Player.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 64
You need to clean the heat exchanger. Yes pull out the burner tray and use a hose with a good pressure to flush it from the top down and then spray up from the bottom. When you spray up from the bottom, you might want to cover yourself so you don't get covered in soot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sooted/ blocked exchanger

OR

Spider web in the burner tube(s).

If you have spiders in the equipment area, its probably the latter. Switch is a one time use and needs to be replaced AND THE PROBLEM FIXED! Dont just replace the roll out sensor and expect it to work for long. Dont pay more than about 15 dollars for it either. Historically, the exact same Jandy part (R0012200) is a fraction of what Raypak had wanted.

Sorry to bring up an old thread. How do you clean the burner tubes?

Clean the slots in the burners with a stainless wire brush. Clean the inside of the burners with a nylon brush. You can usually clean the gas manifold orifices with a pipe cleaner. These should give you an idea of what brushes etc. that I am talking about. Amazon.com: Forney 70487 Tube Brush, Nylon with Wire Loop Handle, 15-1/2-Inch-by-1-1/4-Inch: Home Improvement

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.