Raypak heater compatible with Jandy iAqualink 2.0? Conflicting advice.

lawdoc

Gold Supporter
Jun 1, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I was going to replace my old Laars gas heater with a Raypak 406A digital heater, but when I contacted inyopools to order, their service agent said that I have to order a Jandy heater to be compatible with the controller. I told him that I though it had a remote mode, but he said that it doesn't work with newer controllers.

Can anyone confirm whether the iAqualink panel will work with the heater's remote mode, letting me set thermostat and on/off using the Jandy temp sensor and Jandy Aqualink app? Thanks!

The Raypak heater will work fine with the Aqualink connecting the 2 wire fireman’s switch circuit to the Aqualink heater relay.

You can check the Raypak heater Installation manual and the Aqualink manual to see the connection points.

The Raypak heater will work fine with the Aqualink connecting the 2 wire fireman’s switch circuit to the Aqualink heater relay.

You can check the Raypak heater Installation manual and the Aqualink manual to see the connection points.

What about temperature adjustment, is that possible? Is that possible with Jandy heaters and the Aqualink system?

I am guessing not. Pool equipment seems about 20 years behind the curve in terms of smart equipment and being able to integrate into a HA system. I don't understand that. How hard is it to add Wifi capabilities to a pool heater, SWCG, etc. The hardware costs very little these days, as you can buy smart light switch controllers for less than $20.

The Aqualink does the temp control for the pool by turning the heater on and off as necessary. The Raypak temperature control is not used when connected to the Aqualink.

Folks have designed their own pool equipment control systems. Plenty of threads on DIY equipment controls.

I guess I could roll my own if I had a temperature sensor. I may do that with a Raspberry Pi or some other way of getting the temperature into Control4.

Thanks, I will likely do something like the Home Automation sensor showed on that web page as you need something to read the thermistor and I don't have an Aqualink or - so I would likely use the DS18B20 connected to a Raspberry Pi. I wonder if you would get accurate enough readings by just taping the sensor the outside of a pipe, and then putting foil and insulation around it. You might need to do a calibration but this might work ok.

I wonder if you would get accurate enough readings by just taping the sensor the outside of a pipe, and then putting foil and insulation around it. You might need to do a calibration but this might work ok.

That will not work well.

You should have a water temperature sensor in your pipe with the Aqualink.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.