Raypak heater always on?

homegameroom

Bronze Supporter
Sep 23, 2015
Sunrise,FL
So I was looking at my equipment pad today while the POOL pump was on and my Raypak gas heater was on (the heater was not set to turn on with the pool and the spa had no water flow (the spa pump was not on)). I checked the spa switch to make sure it was not stuck on and it was fine, but the heater display said the spa was calling for heat. I shut it down and opened it up. Everything looked squeaky clean. I pulled the control board out and, being old-school, I tapped all of the relays on the board with my trusty screwdriver and, when I put everything back together and powered it up, everything was fine. (Hey, it worked on old tube-style TVs - why not my pool heater? :laughblue:)

Do Raypak heaters have a history of bad boards? I think mine is only about 3-4 years old, and it's worked perfectly up to now.... Do I need a new control board?

Thanks for the bump, Kim! Alas, the "repair" did not work long. I'm pretty sure it needs a new board, which isn't in the cards this month (too many bills!).

I'll just manually turn it on & off when I use the spa. My finances will look better in December or January. :)

Update: I pulled the board out completely; there was a very strange rust-colored blob on the keypad-side of the board, close to the display. I cleaned it off with a wire brush and generally cleaned other miscellaneous gunk off the board (not much, but there was a dead spider there too, and I gave it a squirt of circuit board cleaner)) and it's been working fine ever since.

Thank you all for the replies and suggestions and moral support! :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.