RayPak 8450

db5683

May 16, 2024
New York State
Hello all, just opened my above ground pool for the upcoming pool season. When i flipped the circuit breaker on, the unit turned on. A few hours later, as i was working around the pool, I noticed the display was blank. (Pic attached). After flipping the breaker off and on a few times, nothing changed. I opened up the front panel, and checked it with a multimeter. There seems to be power to the unit. Also, I checked the purple fuse (pic attached)for continuity with the multimeter, and the meter did make a beep. (I’m a novice with all this electric stuff). Curious if anyone else has dealt with this or has any knowledge on what the cause may be.

Attachments

• IMG_3239.jpeg
    IMG_3239.jpeg
    467.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3235.jpeg
    IMG_3235.jpeg
    354.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3231.jpeg
    IMG_3231.jpeg
    536.2 KB · Views: 2
Welcome to TFP.

Raypak does not give much troubleshooting information in their manual at http://s3.amazonaws.com/AWSProd/sites/raypakcom/documents/241909.pdf

Did you check for 24V AC across the fuse? 24V AC is what powers the controls.

Where did you check that there is power to the unit?

The wiring diagram is on page 45.

Check for 230V on the input side of the transformer (red) and 24V AC on the output side (yellow).

1715906429072.png

So I did not check for 24v across the fuse. I just checked for continuity? Is it possible it could be the fuse still? (I’m hoping as it would be the simplest fix)

As for checking power to the unit- I followed the wires coming from the breaker into the heater. I will do what you suggested.

Thank you for the quick reply and assistance.

Hello all, just opened my above ground pool for the upcoming pool season. When i flipped the circuit breaker on, the unit turned on. A few hours later, as i was working around the pool, I noticed the display was blank. (Pic attached). After flipping the breaker off and on a few times, nothing changed. I opened up the front panel, and checked it with a multimeter. There seems to be power to the unit. Also, I checked the purple fuse (pic attached)for continuity with the multimeter, and the meter did make a beep. (I’m a novice with all this electric stuff). Curious if anyone else has dealt with this or has any knowledge on what the cause may be.
Welcome to TFP.

Raypak does not give much troubleshooting information in their manual at http://s3.amazonaws.com/AWSProd/sites/raypakcom/documents/241909.pdf

Check for 230V on the input side of the transformer (red) and 24V AC on the output side (yellow).

View attachment 573620
Also- looking a little closer, these two wires (green and red) seem compromised. Could this perhaps be the problem ? Photo attached

Attachments

• IMG_3249.jpeg
    IMG_3249.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 4
Also- looking a little closer, these two wires (green and red) seem compromised. Could this perhaps be the problem ? Photo attached
Don't know if it will fix your problem but the wires need to be replaced.

Looks like you had a critter in the heater chewing on wires. There may be more damaged wires.

Welcome to TFP.

View attachment 573620
So I checked the voltage as you suggested- the input side is showing around 260 volts ( I must state that it’s a cheap multimeter so when I turn it on- it’s reading around 10-13 without touching anything. The output side however doesn’t move the multimeter - it stays at the level that I turned it on. So I’m hoping it’s a bad transformer ?

So I checked the voltage as you suggested- the input side is showing around 260 volts ( I must state that it’s a cheap multimeter so when I turn it on- it’s reading around 10-13 without touching anything. The output side however doesn’t move the multimeter - it stays at the level that I turned it on. So I’m hoping it’s a bad transformer ?

I would get a new multimeter as you are only looking to read 24V AC on the output.

If you are confident of your testing then it sounds like a bad transformer.