Dana Point, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I have a 10-year-old Raypak 407 gas heater. Several months ago, I replaced the igniter and burners due to corrosion. While I had everything apart, I cleaned everything to make sure there was no sediment, leaves or dirt anywhere, either above the heat exchanger or below the burner tray. The rest of the heater is pretty much corrosion free.

While I was replacing these components, I checked the heat exchanger, which had almost no soot (I cleaned whatever soot was there), and found no blockages of any kind in exchange tubes.

For several weeks after that work was done, the heater worked perfectly. Over the last two months, the heater gets to about 92° and then shuts off automatically with a high limit#2 error. I tested the unitherm governor, which does open properly at about 100° or so, and replaced the bypass valve (which was stuck with some corrosion) and both limit switches, but the heater still trips with a high limit to error from between 88 to 92°.

I gave myself a $450 ceiling in terms of parts (I’m doing all the labor), before I pull the plug and think about a new heater. I’ve now reached that ceiling, but I can’t help but think that I’m missing something simple given the heater in all of the respects is now quiet and heats beautifully until the high limit error occurs.

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

Some folks have added a heat shield above the HLS sensors. This thread describes how the high limit fault was fixed by insulating the header around the sensors.

Some folks have added a heat shield above the HLS sensors. This thread describes how the high limit fault was fixed by insulating the header around the sensors.

Wow. Thanks so much! I’ll try this right away, but reading the thread you linked implies Raypak knows this IS an issue, yet does nothing to add this insulation to protect the sensors?

If I can get another five years out if this heater, I’ll be grateful ;-)

Thanks again

Cannot thank you enough. I just tested the heater with the manifold, cover off, and lo and behold – the heater works perfectly. No high limit error. The spa heated to 104° with no issues

So I will now add the thermal barrier fix as per the link you sent to me. Again, can’t thank you enough.

Cheers, Michael

Just wanted to say that I finally built a heat shield around the limit sensors using heavy gauge aluminum designed to protect car components from a nearby exhaust manifold. It worked perfectly.

I’m shocked that Raypak would not include $5 worth of shielding to prevent this from happening. Inexcusable IMO.

Again - thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.