Raypak 406A burner assembly replacement and valve to manifold connection seems loose

Foosman

Bronze Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Austin, TX
I had a small leak from where the temperature sensor threads into the pipe that has likely been there since the unit was installed. Unfortunately this rusted out the burner tray and pilot. I have parts on order and have removed the existing burner assembly. I noticed that the connection between the gas valve and manifold are quite loose versus usually snug connections you find with iron pipe. There is a good amount of pipe dope and I don't believe it was leaking before. This likely would have shipped from the factory like this. I'm tempted to spin it around a few times to tighten it, but just curious if anyone knows if this is deliberately loose or should be snug?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 12.19.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 12.19.22 PM.png
    108 KB · Views: 8
It should be tight, not noticeably loose. I would take it apart, clean the threads with a wire brush and inspect for any damage.. When reassembling, use teflon tape and/or pipe dope. Check for gas leakage with soap bubbles after reassembling with pressure in the system (with system heating on the gas manifold side). While difficult, it is not impossible to crack the aluminum gas valve body by overtightening the steel pipe and most gas valves may be installed up to 90 degrees left or right from vertical.

Reactions: Foosman
I went ahead and pulled off the valve and will reassemble it tighter with pipe dope. I rebuilt the burner assembly with a new frame along with a new pilot but realized the pilot tubing (connects pilot to valve) was damaged, so had to order this. Looks like the replacement is slightly different at 1/8" OD with pre-installed fittings, but it's what Raypak shows as the replacement and 1/8" versus 1/4" should not matter for the pilot. I have some rust in the bottom of the heater and will hit it with some rust converter...overall it's not too bad, so I think it will hold up. This heater is pretty easy to work on. I bought it based on reviews on here of people saying it's a pretty straight forward design. It is very serviceable and getting parts has been easy (but not cheap). Not cool that they used Torx security screws for 3 screws...required another Amazon order.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.