Raypack Model P-R406A-EN-C - control board failure?

First time posting. Thank you TFP for hosting this forum.
The LED display appears stuck, reading "REM off"
I have turned off power to heater several times, no luck.
Held all three buttons down for 10 seconds or more per instructions, no luck.
BAD Board? :(

Any thoughts much appreciated!

Ivan

Paul,
Thank you for suggestion. I pulled the keypad and ran diagnostic using ohm meter on key pad only. Each of the three buttons when depressed closed the loop to one of each of the three wires with the center wire seemingly to be the 'power in' wire. I surmise the key pad is good. When I depressed all three buttons however, two of the three buttons closed and the third opened. No clue what that means.

I did find an electrical short and bubble on the insulation surrounding the blue wire that runs from the control board to the Pilot Assembly for Electronic units (part # 002003F).
This blue wire is not broken, but obviously something happened that cause the insulation to overheat. I assume this is blue wire is called a High Tension wire in the Raypak parts list manual. Maybe the electrical short in this wire could have fried the control board?

I did as you suggested. I disconnected the keypad from the control board, (and disconnected the blue wire that runs to the Pilot Assembly since it has a short), then powered up... display reads the same "REM off" and then cycles to what I assume if water temp, "54 off", then back to "REM off" and so on... exactly what is was doing yesterday...

Any other suggestions appreciated!

It does peeve me that while I can buy the replacement control board and pilot assembly online, I get no warranty with the purchase. Raypak forces us garage mechanics to use their dealers. Tough choice as the total cost of parts and labor from dealer will be twice what I can buy parts directly. (Excuse the soapbox speech). In a past life, I worked on residential gas HVAC equipment, so I am not totally clueless.

Ivan

sounds like the remote switch is off. is it controlled by automation or directly from the unit?
how old is the unit?
raypak has a help line, ive called and talked to them before. if they give you a hard time just tell them your a service guy.
warranty is for 1 year and no registration card needs to be sent in.
I have a 407a myself. basically the same model just lo nox for California.

Paul,
Thank you for suggestion. I pulled the keypad and ran diagnostic using ohm meter on key pad only. Each of the three buttons when depressed closed the loop to one of each of the three wires with the center wire seemingly to be the 'power in' wire. I surmise the key pad is good. When I depressed all three buttons however, two of the three buttons closed and the third opened. No clue what that means.

I did find an electrical short and bubble on the insulation surrounding the blue wire that runs from the control board to the Pilot Assembly for Electronic units (part # 002003F).
This blue wire is not broken, but obviously something happened that cause the insulation to overheat. I assume this is blue wire is called a High Tension wire in the Raypak parts list manual. Maybe the electrical short in this wire could have fried the control board?

I did as you suggested. I disconnected the keypad from the control board, (and disconnected the blue wire that runs to the Pilot Assembly since it has a short), then powered up... display reads the same "REM off" and then cycles to what I assume if water temp, "54 off", then back to "REM off" and so on... exactly what is was doing yesterday...

Any other suggestions appreciated!

It does peeve me that while I can buy the replacement control board and pilot assembly online, I get no warranty with the purchase. Raypak forces us garage mechanics to use their dealers. Tough choice as the total cost of parts and labor from dealer will be twice what I can buy parts directly. (Excuse the soapbox speech). In a past life, I worked on residential gas HVAC equipment, so I am not totally clueless.

Ivan

Do you have this tied into a automation system? Usually when the display toggles between the temp and REM Off, it's tied into an automation system. From your original post I thought all you saw on the display was "REM Off".

Being a garage mechanic, I'm one as well, I don't know of any manufacturer that provides you a warranty on parts purchased online. You could try going into a pool supply store and see if they would order the part for you. Then I believe you would have the store backing a warranty.

- - - Updated - - -

sounds like the remote switch is off. is it controlled by automation or directly from the unit?
how old is the unit?
raypak has a help line, ive called and talked to them before. if they give you a hard time just tell them your a service guy.
warranty is for 1 year and no registration card needs to be sent in.
I have a 407a myself. basically the same model just lo nox for California.

Yes warranty is one year but you would need a Raypak warranty tech to do the work. Plus if they didn't install the unit, they should ask for the paper work that shows who installed it and when. If you don't have it, they don't have to honor the warranty. Hayward, Pentair and the like are all this way and they are getting tighter on this. They are tired of eating equipment that someone who didn't know what they were doing installed.

paul, agreed. raypak would send a tech out for repair if under warranty. it wasn't stated who installed or when.
I was referring to the unit not the replacement part. the hotline could be of help to identify the potential problem.
I also agree with these companies (to a certain extent) about not warrantying work done by joe homeowner but there are a ton of pb's out there who know a lot less than some homeowners.;)

I'm a warranty tech for them and I have no problem covering replacement parts under warranty but then again, I hardly ever see problems with these units within the first 5 years. If I do, lots of times it's a user error or user caused problem. Of course this is my opinion for the areas I cover.

Look at your particular owners manual. I can't remember which is which but there is a difference between REM OFF and REM off on some of the older Raypak heaters. You are either looking at the heater with the remote off (not in remote mode) or the heater is off (IN remote mode, but the heater is off, water at set point) This may, or may not be your issue. Just something to look at, and make sure you have the setting correct.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Ivan

Ivan

Manufacturers instituted that because us local guys are getting beaten up so bad by online pricing and we began to revolt. I don't know how they (online guys) can get parts at a cost that is ridiculously lower than mine! As a dealer, i am forced to buy through distribution (manufacturers rules), hence the extra mark up. But it really should be that way for all dealers online or otherwise. How come online guys get better deal than us? When i ask the manufacturer, i can't get an explanation. Instead, the consumer gets the shaft by not getting the same warranty with online purchases as he would if he bought local. I realize you don't care, i don't blame you, i don't care either for that matter, we all want the best price, right?

I buy online whenever i can. Sadly, not pool supplies (no warranty)*grin*.

This is merely an explanation of why you don't get a warranty, NOT necessarily a rant. BTW, you should be getting a warranty, it is just one that is greatly reduced in duration, typically 30 to 90 days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.