Raypack Heater will not start

Tim88

Jun 9, 2017
East Islip, NY
I have a 15 year old Raypack 2100 Digital Natural gas heater. Body a little rusted but I have kept it in good shape by winter storage.
The unit is a 400,000 BTU model.

I cannot fire it up this season. I get an error code of PRS for a pressure problem.
I have replaced and tested a new pressure switch. Exact same model as the old one.
I get a "Call for Heat" code (CFH). The unit lights the pilot and then reads "PRS and service heater" with a fast click and code flashing.
The pilot lights for about 5 - 10 seconds and goes out. I can hear clicking of a relay or solenoid. CFH, HL1 and PRS willl flash.

Raypack support told me it was either the pressure switch, a blocked heater core or bad wires. I checked the wires to the P switch for continuity.
I completely cleaned my DE filter cartridge and basket. I have 14 pounds of pressure in the heater and filter. My returns run full power.
I also ran the pool in re-circulate mode in case the filter was the problem. I have a good gas flow to the switch.

I swapped out the heater tray with the gas valve assembly attached. I had 2 and have the same codes and issues with both.
The harness to the main board is clean and in good shape. I even replaced all the old wire connectors that were weathered.
I got a free estimate from a repair guy and he told me it was either the board with a bad relay or another bad gas valve. The Raypack guys think not.

I am out of options. Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance!
Tim

As long as you didn't connect the pipes for the water flow backwards, I assume you disconnect everything for winter storage, I would say it's a bad board. You can always jump out the pressure switch and other sensors to see what happens but I say the board is bad.

The PRS error, if it truly was a pressure switch issue, would present itself when you flip the power on as it is a safety that has to be OK in order for the heater to go thru the rest of the process to light.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.